49.

Gracie.

Miracles. Not a lot of people believe in them. Most people try to come up with some sort of logical explanation for why something happened.

'There's always a reason,' they say.

But, believe it or not, sometimes there isn't a reason. Sometimes, things just happen.

"He's awake," Mason says, rushing forward.

Sure enough, my mate's eyes were fluttering open. He would hate that I used 'fluttering'.

But point is, he blinked a few times and then his eyes were open and I found myself staring into my favorite pair of gray eyes, eyes that I thought I'd never get to see again.

Miracle.

After Grey woke up, things moved fast. He immediately wanted to get back to leading his pack but the doctors wanted him to rest a bit more.

I was on their side because, even with how biased I am bound to be, Grey looked horrible.

After a few days though, his wounds were almost completely healed and the doctors had no choice but to clear him for 'light work'.

The first thing on his agenda was to sort pack matters out in the aftermath of the war.

Mortalities were counted and amounted to 43 people. These were bodies that they could find- some they couldn't.

Lisa had died. I didn't think this would affect me seeing as I barely knew her and despised even the little I knew, but she was still a human being. She was one of the first people they killed when they attacked, before people were moved to the bunker.

"Okay that's sorted," Grey was saying, "All that's left is the traitor."

"Traitor?" echoed Ryan.

"Yeah, remember those notes? The threats that were delivered right to our doorstep? And the invaders that just so happened to know their way around my land?" The others nodded while I struggled to keep up,

"Yeah well we've been too busy trying to sort out this war business. We're finally done, so it's time to find out who decided their pack and alpha were worth betraying".

Mason got up, "But the notes were scentless. What's your plan?"

"There are other methods," Grey smiled, "I've got people working on it, we'll know by tonight"

~•~•~••~•~••~•~•~•~•
Grey.

I dropped my smile as Ryan and Mason left the room. I already knew who the traitor was, I was just giving them a chance to come forward themselves.

I turned to Gracie, "Baby, I need you to stay by my side for the rest of the day okay? Did you have any plans?"

"Not particularly," she frowned, "What's up?"

"Nothing really. Things are just coming to an end."

~•~•~••~•~•~•~•~••~••~•

By evening, I had my pack members gathered, ready to reveal who the traitor was. To reveal who was losing their life immediately.

The air was thick with anticipation.

Wolves really didn't like traitors.

One of the men I'd put on the case entered the room and handed me a folded sheet of paper that would have the results of the little test I'd done on it.

"You see, the letters we got didn't have any fingerprints on them and were completely scentless. That obviously stumped us. We're werewolves, we rely heavily on our sense of smell," I addressed the room, "So I went a little simpler. I authorized them to get a sample of everybody's handwriting and compare it to the handwriting on the notes."

"It was a bit of a stretch seeing as our pack traitor might not necessarily have been the one to write the notes. They might have just been the messenger. Thankfully, however, we have our answer now"

I looked at Gracie beside me, whose eyes were on me as were everybody else's.

I unfolded the paper quickly; even I was tired of all the suspense.

"Everybody out"

"Alpha.." somebody said.

"Out!" I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the paper.

The people dutifully trooped out of the room and as the last person left, I turned to the remaining three people in the room; my mate, my beta, and my third-in-command.

One of whose name was written on the sheet of paper I held in my hand.

"Why?" That was the only question I had.

He immediately made a run for the exits and the guards I had stationed there captured him and dragged him back to me.

"What? Grey?" Ryan looked just as confused as I felt.

I looked back at the man the guards were still holding in front of me.

Mason.

"Why would you do this?!" I screamed at him.

Mason and I had been friends since before we could talk, before even Ryan. We had grown up together as best friends, brothers even. Ryan and Mason were the brothers my actual blood-brother hadn't been.

That's why this was so puzzling.

"Tell me it's a lie, Mason. Tell me it's just a coincidence that your handwriting is a perfect match with the one on the threat notes. Tell me that now, when you tried to run from the room, it was for another reason other than the fact that you'd been found out. Tell me!"

"I'm sorry," he whispered and my heart shattered.

"Mason..."

"I didn't think it was fair. I didn't think it was fair for you to get to be Alpha and to get her," he glanced quickly at Gracie, "After what happened to Anna..."

The ringing in my ears was loud.

Anna.

Anna was Mason's mate. He had found her very early and they were in love. Unfortunately, somebody else had his eyes on her. Harry was a new student and had developed an unhealthy obsession with Anna. He stalked her and took pictures of her without her consent, etc etc. Then one day, while Anna and I were hanging out, he kidnapped her. Before we were able to find him, he had killed her. Mason, in his rage, killed Harry but he was destroyed. He had lost his other half.

He went on, "She was with you, you could have saved her life if you'd kept a better eye on her! But I lose my mate, and then you find yours and are going ahead to lead the perfect life?"

"Mason..."

"It's not fucking fair!" He screamed, his face wet with tears now, "Anna didn't deserve that"

"You're right, Mace," Ryan spoke, "Anna didn't deserve that. But neither did Tamara Grace"

The punishment for treason was death. Unnegotiable, unchanging.

But I couldn't do that to Mason. He had caused a lot of damage but he did it from a place of hurt, of anger. He had stood by me through the toughest times. He was my brother.

But, I couldn't let this slide either.

"Mason, I'm sorry for what happened to Anna, I really am. You're right, she didn't deserve that. And you're probably right that if I hadn't left her alone for the minute I did, she'd be alive right now. But you have to realise that unlike you, I didn't cause harm to your mate on purpose," I took a deep breath, steadying myself for my next words,

"I'm sorry but, I Grayson Brewer, interim Alpha of the Blood Moon pack-"

"No!!"

"-hereby banish you, Mason. I strip you of your position as my third-in-command, you are officially no longer a member of this pack, and I name you a rogue."

Mason was taken out by the guards. He didn't struggle. He looked back and nodded once at me before the led him out the doors.

My eyes had watered. This wasn't how things were supposed to turn out. But things were getting back to normal- a new normal.