41.

Grey

She pranced through the field as if she had no care in the world, her blonde hair flying in the wind.

"I'm gonna catch you!" I yelled as I ran after her.

She giggled. It was clear and beautiful as the wind carried the sound over to me.

"You wish Brewer!" She stuck out her tongue at me as she started running as fast as she could.

I ran behind her for a little while. I could easily catch her but I loved how happy she looked when she thought she was winning.

She stopped ahead "and you call yourself a werewolf! I'm just a little human and I outrun you!" She stuck out her tongue again.

I laughed, it bubbled from my chest - a laugh only she could bring out of me.

I easily ran up to her, pulling her so she fell on the soft grass.

"Hi little human"

She pouted, jutting out her lip, "You caught me"

"I'll always be there to catch you"

My eyes flew open as if I'd been stung - the dream disappearing before my eyes.

I lived in a constant red haze now, alternating between dreaming of Gracie or thinking about her. My mate had been gone too long and my wolf was acting out. I was more wolf than man these days and there were just a few moments when I was the one actually in charge of my actions.

Werewolves weren't made to be away from their mates. They were extremely possessive creatures which was why they marked their mate immediately they found them. Being away from a marked mate was difficult but being away from an unmarked one was downright maddening and it was even worse when one of the mates had Alpha blood.

In one of my saner moments, I wondered if Gracie was as affected as I was. If she was a werewolf then there would be no question about it, she would be going crazy but her being fully human, I wondered.

I sat down now in the back of my mind watching my wolf pace up and down the cell. I had asked to be thrown one of our strongest cells when I noticed my wolf getting stronger. I didn't shift...I hadn't shifted in a long while but my wolf was getting stronger. It was easy now for him to force me to the back of my own mind and take over my human body.

I had tried to fight him in the earlier days, sometimes spending hours battling him for control of my body but recently I had given up. What was the use? So what if I was in charge of my actions? I couldn't rescue Gracie.

Which was why I'd asked to be put in a cell, I didn't want to inadvertently harm one of my pack members while he was in control.

"Come on Grey, let's go out for a while" Mason stood outside my cell, his eyes wide with caution.

My wolf ignored him and so did I.

"You have to get some fresh air. You've been in here for days. It'll be good for both your wolf and you."

"You don't even have to interact with anybody. We'll just drive around town"

"You've gone downhill Grey. You wouldn't want her to see you like this"

My wolf wanted to lunge at him for bringing her up but he was right. I would hate for Gracie to see me so weak.

It took a moment for me to push my wolf back and take back control over my body.

"Okay, let's go."

He grinned and pulled on the rubber gloves he'd brought with him and unlocked the heavy silver door.