40.

** Almost 4k reads??? Y'all are amazing. Thanks for reading my book! And to all the people who actually added it to their reading lists...you guys really are the best! ❤️

Gracie

There's something movies and fairy tales conveniently leave out of their stories.

The prince doesn't always come for the damsel.

Sometimes, sleeping beauty doesn't get awakened.

Rapunzel remains in the tower.

Cinderella remains a maid forever.

Sometimes, the damsel either has to conform to what seems like her destiny, or save herself.

I had conformed long enough and my prince had actually come once. Grey had saved me from my parents.

But this time, my saviour might just be yours truly.

Fear is the mind-killer. And fear was exactly what was going to drive me.

I didn't have a plan. Which I knew was stupid. But I had a goal- to get the hell out of that place.

I sat in front of the mirror and styled my hair, catching the eye of my captor behind me in the reflection. I smiled, letting my lips curl upward, willing it to reach my eyes.

I had woken up in Eric's bed, swathed in his heavy sheets without having any recollection of how I got there although it wasn't that hard to figure out since I remembered falling asleep on the bathroom floor.

After the initial shock wore off...that I was in his bed, I realised I could use that to my advantage because it meant,

1. That I wasn't going back to the dungeons.

2. That the fool had either begun to trust me or underestimated me enough to let me into his space.

And boy was I not going to let that go.

"You seem different," he commented, knotting his tie. It was weird that the few times I'd seen him, he'd never been in casual clothes.

My smile remained on my face and I had to put conscious effort into not letting it slip into a grimace, "Different?"

"Docile"

Fool.

Eric, I had realised was not used to people standing up to him. Everybody around him treated him with not polite consideration, but grovelling deference. Which was easy for me seeing as that was basically all I'd done while I was at my parents'.

I shrugged, letting my expression droop, "Doesn't seem like I'm getting out of here anytime soon, might as well start adjusting"

He smiled as he shrugged his suit jacket on, "Just the attitude you should have, human"

And he left.

Clothes in my exact size had been arranged on one side of Eric's walk-in closet. Everything was there from ball gowns to underwear which I found more than creepy. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweater- despite there not being a lot of snow, it was still the middle of winter.

After playing with it, I decided to just leave my hair down. I walked out of the room and realised we were on a floor I hadn't been on before.

I walked to one of the windows and looked out. I was shocked that instead of overlooking just a large expanse of land like I'd expected since I believed we were in the middle of nowhere, the window actually overlooked a small town. There were little houses with gardens that would be green and lush in any other season and there were people actually walking about.