thirty-five

Heeseung stopped his car in front of a floral shop. He got out of his vehicle and stared at the flowers from outside of the window. Pink tulips and lilies were displayed to welcome the customers.

He smiled to himself and went in, greeting the florist. He took a deep breath and smelled the flower scent spreading through the air.

What would Areum like?

"What are you looking for, sir?" The florist asked politely. He sighed as he buried his hands into the pockets of his coat. "I don't know what my wife likes. She's very unpredictable."

His eyes widened after realising what he just said. Did I just call Areum my wife?

He blushed and looked away to hide his flustered face. The florist chuckled, "What kind of person is she?"

"She's brave. People would assume that she's scary and mean when they first meet her. But only I know what she's really like. She's sweet, caring to the ones she loves and smart too," his smile became wider and wider.

The lady nodded and took out red roses and white tulips. "I would suggest these flowers. They are suitable for romantic occasions. Your wife will love it."

"Thank you."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum got out of Ni-ki's car and closed the door. She waved at him before watching him drive away from her house. She glanced at the sky, seeing the grey clouds gathering.

It's going to rain.

She immediately scurried to her house, taking off her shoes. A pair of unfamiliar expensive shoes were placed right at the doorway, making her confused.

It doesn't look like what dad would wear.

She walked into the house and saw her father reading his newspaper in the living room. Mr Jung saw his daughter stepping into the house slowly with her injured leg.

"My daughter! Are you okay? Is your leg still hurt?"

She shook her head, "No, it's a bit fine now. Don't worry, dad."

"If I knew Beomgyu was going to do this, I shouldn't allow you to live with him."

She held both of her father's shoulders to assure him, "I'm fine."

Areum took slow steps to the kitchen. To her surprise, Heeseung was there helping Mrs Jung with her cooking. He giggled at her stepmother's jokes and even chattered about his high school years.

They both turned around after hearing her at the doorway. "Areum!" They both greeted her in unison. The daughter gave Heeseung a confused expression, "What are you doing here?"

He flashed a soft smile before making her sit at the table. He took her handbag before putting it away. "We're cooking lunch while waiting for you to come home."

She watched as he cooked fried eggs. She admired his broad-shouldered back facing her as his hand handled the frying pan. The way her stepmother's apron was tied perfectly around his waist.

He looks like a husband.

She slapped herself after having a ridiculous thought. She walked to the fridge to search for some sweets. A frown crept up on her face after seeing a packet of mint chocolates placed in the middle.

She felt the chocolate mocking her. She gave a death stare to her boyfriend, seeing him focused on his eggs.

"Edlyn! I bought you some mint chocolates!"

She slammed the fridge door close, making Mrs Jung flinch. Areum sighed, "Who bought those chocolates?"

"Your dad. You know he can't live without mint chocolate."

She walked away and mumbled under her breath, "I bought you some chocolates."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum lied down on her bed, her eyes fixed at the ceiling. She hugged her bolster tightly as her mind was filled with so many useless thoughts and questions.

She glanced at her desk and realised there was a bouquet of white tulips and red roses all along. The door to her room suddenly opened, revealing Heeseung still in her mother's apron.

She gulped at the sight of him. His sleeves were rolled to his elbows, his hair was pushed back probably because he ran his fingers through it a lot.

Her eyes watched his sweat carefully as they trickled down his neck.

He looks so...hot?

Snap out of it, you pervert.

"Like what you see?" He smirked. She frowned and turned around, her back facing him. He sighed and sat at the edge of the bed, "What's wrong? You didn't even talk to me last night. What is it about mint chocolates?"

"Nothing," she muttered, resting her chin on the bolster. He laid down on the bed with her before pulling her into a hug.

Her eyes widened in shock before she pushed him away. He fell off the bed, rubbing his back in pain.

"What the hell are you doing? You're sweating and you probably haven't showered yet. Don't you get on the same bed with me!"

He scoffed and walked towards her slowly. She backed away in fear until her back bumped against the desk. She grabbed the bouquet and held it against his chest to push him away.

"Don't come closer."

He held her hand and put the bouquet away. "What's wrong? Why can't you tell me? If you're not telling me then how are we going to solve the problem?"

She sighed and gave in, lowering her gaze. "It's just petty jealousy. I actually met you six years ago at the Park Medical School. I had a meeting with one of the professors there with Ni-ki. Then, I saw you giving mint chocolates to this girl named Edlyn, who scolded me for punching you last time."

He laughed, "What? You know Edlyn is married. Why are you still jealous of her?"

"Because you looked at her with those sweet eyes you always do when you're with me. I got a little jealous when I remembered it," she looked away. He kept laughing, earning a miserable frown from her.

She pushed him away, "Fine, laugh all you want. It's embarrassing, I know."

"No, it's actually cute. I want you to be jealous of her for me. That means you still love me."

She hid her face, feeling her cheeks starting to blush. A smile appeared on her lips as she looked away. He smacked her back, "Lunch is ready! We don't want the food to get cold."

She flinched in surprise and kicked his leg, "That scared me, you jerk!"

He winced in pain and watched as she walked ahead of him.