thirty

Midnight soon arrived, greeting the city with a full moon and stars. Areum stared at the view from the window, tapping her index finger continuously on the table.

"Mrs Joo approaching Beomgyu for a project? It sounds weird to me."

She scurried to her bed and reached for her small notebook on the nightstand. She started listing the possibilities and suspicions that were bothering her. She circled the "Beomgyu + Mrs Joo" continuously with her pen, trying to come up with theories.

The door to her room opened, revealing Ni-ki with a bouquet. The younger man sighed and took a seat on a chair next to her bed. She rolled her eyes, "I know. You were going to tell me that I should've left Beomgyu in the first place."

"I was going to say that. I'm glad that you're safe. If I see him again, I'll cut off his limbs into pieces."

She chuckled in amusement and handed him her notebook. He looked at it, pure confusion appeared on his face. She pointed at Mrs Joo's name with her pen, "Anything suspicious?"

"So you're saying your boyfriend is in a project with your mother?"

"This might be one of the things Mrs Joo does to harm me. She has money so she must have done some background checks on Beomgyu."

Ni-ki handed the book to her, "I just saw her with her husband in front of Minhyuk's room."

Her eyes lit up and she got off the bed. The young man looked at her full with concern, "Areum."

She faced him, "Get me a doctor's coat. And glasses too."

"Are you going to spy on them?"

"I need to know what they're planning. I'm still suspicious of them and the school shooting case."

He gave in and went out, searching for a random doctor's coat.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Be careful. Here," Ni-ki said as he put a gun in Areum's back pocket. She nodded and fixed her glasses before walking out of the room. Some of the staff bowed at her but were also confused as they tried to remember if she worked there.

She gulped nervously and hid at the corner, seeing Mr Joo outside his son's room. He was talking to someone on the phone.

He doesn't seem so happy.

She cleared her throat and walked near him, acting like she was on her phone. She opened one of the rooms close to him and hid in there. The door opened a little as she tried to listen to his conversation.

"Yes, the project with Mr Choi is still on," Mr Joo said as he walked back and forth.

Choi Beomgyu?

She asked herself internally as she arched an eyebrow.

"My son is just fine. To be honest, the ten kids deserve to die since they bullied my son."

Areum clenched her fists, stopping herself from attacking the old man.

"How the students are killed?" Mr Joo chuckled. She widened her eyes and leaned forward, trying to hear him. Her heart was beating nervously as her hands started trembling.

"We have money. Let's just say, my wife and I gave them the punishment they deserved."

Her heart dropped at the sudden confession. She scoffed and ran her fingers through her hair, trying to process the information.

They were behind the murder? Mother? My mother killed the students?

She exhaled heavily and fixed her coat before walking out of the room. She had to get out of there as fast as she can.

"You!" The man called her from behind. She stopped walking and reached the back pocket, holding the gun tightly to prepare for the worst.

She stood in the middle of the hallway with her back facing him, afraid that he would recognise her. Her eyes widened when she saw Heeseung approaching them. Pure confusion was plastered on his face.

She slowly shook her head, trying to give him signals that she was in disguise. He got the hint and cleared his throat, standing in front of her.

He glanced at Mr Joo and smiled before looking at her, "Dr Park. I've been looking for you."

He bowed at the old man before grabbing Areum's hand, leading her away from the VIP floor.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"What were you doing? You know you shouldn't eavesdrop on Mr Joo's conversation. He doesn't even like you. What if he finds out and harms you?" Heeseung nagged as he walked back and forth. He had led her to his office and made her sit down on the couch.

She looked at her fingers, lowering her gaze. He sighed and squatted down to check her wounded shin. He touched it and tried lifting her leg, "Does it still hurt?"

She shook her head 'no'. He sighed tiredly, "Don't lie."

"I just found out something."

He hummed in response, waiting for her to continue. She took out her phone and played the recording she got earlier.

"We have money. Let's just say, my wife and I gave them the punishment they deserved."

His eyes widened in shock, "Is that Mr Joo?"

She nodded and put her phone back into her pocket. "So you're saying he killed those ten students?" He asked again. She nodded again.

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know yet. I still need more proof. Especially before Election Day arrives. It'll be hard to arrest him if he's appointed as the President."

The room went silent, awkward tension floating through the air. Their attention got caught by the rain pouring down. Thunder started making sounds as raindrops fell against the office window.

She approached the window and watched as the raindrops trickled down. She saw her reflection, amazed at how the doctor's coat looked on her.

Heeseung smiled behind her, "So that's how you look like if you were to become a neurosurgeon."

Her heart fluttered as she watched him walk towards her. He stood in front of her, his eyes boring into hers deeply.

"How have you been?" He asked with his soft voice.

"What?"

"That is the question I've always wanted to ask if we were ever going to meet again. And we did. So, how have you been?"

She chuckled nervously and lowered her gaze, "I..."

"I missed you," she breathed out, cheeks forming a warm shade of red.