Developing Our Character

4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, - Titus 3:4-6 (NKJV)

It is impossible to develop our character without the help of the Holy Spirit. We have to see that the Holy Spirit is responsible for many things in our lives. We are renewed by the presence of the Holy Spirit of God. He changes our character. He creates us anew and makes us like Him. Salvation is something that the Holy Spirit helps us with as well. We cannot change without His help and we can allow Him to change us where we need a change. 

The Indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit

16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another []Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. - John 14:16-17 (NKJV)

The Holy Spirit indwells our being. And from the scripture above, we see that it is impossible for someone who is not born again to receive the Holy Spirit. The bible says, "for He dwells with you and will be in you." The Holy Spirit indwells our being for us to become like Him. Why should we become like the Holy Spirit? Because through one man, sin spread out and that's why, even little kids can commit the most heinous crimes you could think of. 

17 For if by the one man's []offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.) - Romans 5:17 (NKJV)

One man's offense reigns in this world. That's why we need salvation and need the presence of the Holy Spirit. There's a life that exists after we are born again. The Holy Spirit indwells us to reign in life. Some of us have probably read stories about celebrities that are great in their craft, but not so great in their character. And even in the church, we can also have poor character development. What exactly does the Holy Spirit want to produce in us? 

Reigning through the Holy Spirit 

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 []gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23 (NKJV)

The bible tells us that we are known by our fruits. But what does this mean exactly? Are people just naturally good? Are people naturally bad? Maybe. Most of the times, we become what we are exposed to and what we see in our environment. How can we break certain cycles? How can we become different from what other generations experienced as young people? By learning to develop the inner man. The spirit man. By now we should know who the inner man is. 

If we choose to co-operate with the Holy Spirit, we can become exactly what the Bible says we are. The key is in learning to choose the life that God has set apart for us. We can choose to live a holy life and ask the Holy Spirit to help us. 

Walking in Love

35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." - John 13:35 (NKJV)

Jesus died for us because of Love. We have to learn to love people. The disciples were not a group of family members. Even though some were related to each other, but they were not a family in the biological sense. What proves that we are followers of Christ? If we love one another. If we cannot love, we'll fail to do many things. And without love, we cannot serve God. There are many who serve God, but some may not be doing it because they love God.