chapter 11

(Tae)

“May we join you?” I heard a voice call out to me. It was Amber and Yixing. I was on the top of the Candor building; it was very quiet how I liked it when I was deep in thought. Silence took over.

“Nice night isn’t it?” Amber broke the silence after a minute.

“Yeah it is,” I replied softly. “Look I am sorry for being here so long. I should go downstairs where everyone is now,” I placed my face into my hands. But if I do what if Minho is there and sees me first.

“Look Taemin what you did couldn’t be prevented, if you both didn’t do that than you would probably be dead by now,” Yixing tried to explain to me twiddling his fingers together.

“What are you trying to say?” I questioned confused. Yixing looked to Amber who nodded.

“What we are trying to say is you should apologise to Minho… do you get what we mean?” she added. I nodded. “Good then well that settles that.”

*Thud* turning to my right I saw Yixing had been shot and fallen to the floor. I gasped backing into Amber; we turned our heads and saw Yunho and the enemy dauntless coming down on wires onto the building. Amber giving me a gun we both began shooting at the enemy. We had to get away!

“Amber down the stairs quickly!” I yelled to her which she ran to the door and opened it. I saw Yixing and I felt bad leaving him there, it broke my heart.

“Come on Tae!” squeezing my eyes preventing tears to come I ran to the door running inside and down the flight of stairs. Amber ran behind me quickly trying to get away as fast as we could. Down on a platform many other Candor began running from their rooms and behind them were more of the enemy. Grabbing Amber’s hand we both ran down more flights of stairs.

A heavy weight brought me back to reality when I realised Amber had been shot. Bending down I tried to help her. Lifting her up on my back I tried to take some steps to soon feel a pain in my neck and I fell to the floor. Had I been shot? It was so painful though. Guns jabbed at me but I didn’t move.

“They are all down, come on there is more!” many soldiers ran the stairs to the other victims. It was quiet and I moved my head to see no one was around. Moving I tried to push Amber off of me but… that changed when she groaned and woke up.

“Ah Taemin you alright?!” she got off me and pulled me onto my feet. I saw a silver circle on her shoulder and I felt the same thing on mine. “What are these? Why is everyone not waking up!”

“This doesn’t make sense, we shouldn’t be awake while everyone is asleep unless… wait your divergent right.”

“Yeah of course I told you. Oh I see what you’re getting at Tae! Maybe only divergent can’t get affect by this but why?” she wondered. We had to get out still.

“Come on let’s try to get out before they spot us-“

“There are two here!” a dauntless soldier called out and there I saw Yunho. He stared at me and began to run fast towards us. Pushing each other we stumbled up the stairs to get back onto the roof.

“You will not escape this time!” true to his word, he shot two nets at us trapping us in them. My head hit the floor hard. Being lifted up we soon found out we were in one of the lounge rooms. There we were let out of the nets and bounded on our knees. “Is this all the divergent caught?” Junho asked someone I didn’t know. There were 5 of us all together. “Oh well then,” he walked to the first person placing a machine over his face.

‘Divergent 10%’ the machine read. He tsked. “You are practically almost human, oh well.” A bang was heard and that man fell to the floor dead. My heart raced, Amber nudged me giving me a worried look. Yunho walked to a young 4 year old boy.

‘Divergent 45%’ damn he wouldn’t kill a kid right?

“You aren’t it either,” he pointed the gun to the kid but Amber shoved him to the ground. He pushed her onto her stomach.

‘Divergent 85%’

“Well you are so far the best subject for the job,” he smirked. He can’t take her I won’t let him. “Take her to Krystal now,” he ordered. Guard dragged her towards the door.

“Let me go! LET ME GO I DON’T WANT TO GO TO HER! ARGH!” she was injected with a serum making her stare blankly weakly.

 Think Taemin think!

“STOP!” I shouted. Everyone looked to me and Yunho rolled his eyes.

“Tae you want me to teach you a lesson?” Yunho punched my gut and I groaned in pain on the floor. The machine waved on top of me.

‘Divergent 100%’ he paused and my face drained in colour. I was going to go to Krystal after all instead of Amber.

“Take him instead, kill the rest,” he ordered carrying me over his shoulder. I banged his back hard hoping it would get me off but that wasn’t working.

“NO TAEMIN!” Amber screamed and that is when all of Candor and dauntless survivors surrounded Yunho and I. The enemy dauntless ran out of the building. I was brought down in front of Yunho and he brought my face facing his, he was very close to mine. I glanced a little to my left and saw Minho.

“Let me go or I’ll kill him,” Yunho persisted.

“No, it’s over Yunho! You are here to be executed for your crimes. Killing Tae will not chance anything and besides you need him alive hm?” that did it, he pushed me onto the floor and he was bounded and kneeled onto the floor.

Amber brought me up onto my feet hugging me with tears running down her face, she looked weak but she didn’t seem to let that get to her. “So glad you weren’t taken, you did that on purpose!” she whined hugging me even tighter.

(Minho)

“Why do you need Tae?” I questioned him.

“I don’t know, all I know is Krystal wants him as he is 100% divergent. I promise that is all, but it is too late she will get him one way or another. You all will be killed until she can get her hands on him! You all will die-“ he fell to the floor.

My gun dropped to the floor and I couldn’t believe that I had killed him, one of my fears and I did it.

“You were right all along,” Joonmyun scratched his head nervously. “It’s official we will join in the fight to bring Erudite down!” all of Candor roared agreeing while everyone else hoorayed. We are going to show them who is boss just you watch Krystal.