Chapter nine ~ dinner is served

Adam, Molly, and I walked out of the bookstore and towards Adams car. I was always skeptical of entering cars, especially if teenagers were driving, not that I'd been in a car with many teenagers. I'd gone out a few times when I'd lived with grandma and the night of Adams party, but there was always the little voice in the back of my head, reminding me about my mother’s accident. 

Telling Adam had really made me realize how lucky I was to have survived that accident. I knew I was, especially since I had no long term damage, besides the concussion I received and the broken arm, which both healed relatively quickly. But what didn't heal quickly was the fact I had lost my mother, and it had been my fault. Adam made me realize I didn't kill her. It was out of my control. And today was the first time I'd actually accepted that. 

"Ready?" Adam asked us both. Molly nodded eagerly and I smiled, as Adam backed out of the parking lot and made the familiar drive back to Adams house, and my old house. In the daylight, everything looked almost exactly the same, yet different. Not much had changed, but it felt different to me. 

Adam pulled into the driveway and parked the car. I climbed out of the car and walked towards the front door, with Molly's hand in mine, as she always did when we went somewhere unfamiliar. But to me, this visit wasn't nearly as unfamiliar as the last. This tome, I felt like I was going home for the first time in weeks. 

“I’m home mom” Adam called throughout the house “and I brought friends!”

“Adam James Wilton” I heard Sydney state in an angry tone I recognized after all these years. “How many times have I told you to let me know before you bring anyone over! I've told you so many times. I need to be prepared since you boys eat so much. You’re lucky I haven’t prepared anything yet or I would have--”

Sydney stopped her rant when she walked to the doorway and saw molly and I standing there. The scowl immediately wiped off her face and a large smile grew.

“Oh girls!” she said happily “I didn't know it was you! Here I was thinking Adam brought over ten boys again and I would be cooking up a storm all night! What a lovely surprise!”

Molly waved and gave Sydney a hug, even though she didn’t know Sydney. Sydney however, gave her one of her famous hugs that seemed to comfort anyone. I walked over and gave her a hug as well.

“Dog!” Molly exclaimed gleefully, as she began to pet Adams dog, the same one I remember him getting when we were kids. Eddie was a tanned Great Dane. He was insanely large, but the friendliest dog you could ever meet.

“His name is Eddie” I explained to my sister “and he loves lots of belly rubs”

My sister smiled and rubbed his belly.

“Alright” Sydney said “I need to start dinner! What do you girls want? I can make anything you want.”

I shrugged “anything’s alright”

Sydney smiled “Sara, still the polite little girl she was all those years ago. How about I make my famous spaghetti and meatballs.  Those were your favourite when you were a kid”

I smiled, remembering how amazing Sydney’s cooking was. She always made such good and savory foods. My mother, on the other hand, defiantly had a large sweet tooth and could probably live off cookies and cakes.

“Why don’t you take Sara down, Adam” Sydney smiled “and I’m looking for a sous-chef to help me cook. Molly do you want to help?”

My sister nodded eagerly and ran into the kitchen, with Sydney following close by. I was somewhat thankful for Sydney’s offer. She probably knew me and Adam would want some alone time. I looked over at Adam, who was holding the basement door open for me.

I hadn’t been downstairs since we were kids, but like the rest of the house, it was exactly how I remember it to be. There were still our drawings pinned up above the desk. Not just Adams, but mine too. Like I was his mother’s child too. Everything was perfect back then. No pain, no drama. Adam was my Adam and no one else’s.

“It hasn’t really changed since we were kids” he explained, but I think he knew I didn't need the explanation. I walked over to the couch and sat down. Adam sat down next to me.

“You know” he started “I didn't really have the chance to say this before, but I’m really glad you’re home.”

And for a second, I thought he was going to kiss me again. Though he didn't even show signs of wanting too, maybe it was because I wanted him to so badly, that if he did this time I wouldn’t stop him. Because maybe, this time he actually wanted me. Maybe he felt the same way I had all these years.

But he got up, and extended out a hand to help me up. Just touching his hand sent tingles down my spine as I slowly lifted myself up. Without saying another word, we walked upstairs and into the kitchen. My sister was sitting on the floor rubbing Eddie’s stomach while Sydney was finishing setting the table.

“Oh good kids!” she said smiling “I was just about to call you”

I smiled and took a seat across from Adam. Sydney put a mountain of spaghetti in my plate and I smiled, remembering how long it’s been since I've had a home cooked meal. I mean, Molly and I have been eating okay, but you can only have boxed macaroni and cheese so many nights in a row.

“Well” Sydney said “dig in!”

Molly and I just stepped off the elevator when we heard the yelling. Oliver was standing outside our apartment, and a man, who I guessed to be the landlord, was across from him, fuming with anger.

“Oliver, this is your final warning! I’m sick of getting late rent! Either you have the money, or you don’t.”

“I’ll get it to you next week” he pleaded “I am just a little behind on my inventions. People don’t seem to buy them as much anymore”

“Maybe you should grow up like everyone and get a real job! So you can pay your bills and take care of your sisters kids!”

Oliver looked like a puppy that had been kicked. I know my mother said a lot of people thought he was crazy for trying to make a living off inventing trinkets and widgets, but our family was super supportive of everything he did. Other people, who didn't understand his lifestyle, did not.

“One week.” The landlord said “one week or your gone”

He stormed down the hallway, probably to threaten another resident. Then, I had an idea. I quickly dialed Clara's number as quickly as possible. Thankfully she picked up. 

"Hey Clare" I greeted "do you know if the bookstore is hiring anyone?"

A/N

Okay so I know it's been awhile since I last updated and I'm super duper uper sorry!!! I'm going to try to update again by saturday to make it up to the few readers I have left. So if anyone's still reading, tell me what you think below and don't forget to vote and add this story to your library to know about all upcoming updates! Or if you fan, you can get updates for ALL my stories! anyways I'm rambling, hope you enjoyed!!!!