Chapter Five ~ The Party

I sat outside Adams house in Emily’s car with her, Penny, and Massie. They were all fixing their makeup and trying to look as sexy as possible, but I was only focused on one thing.

I wasn’t even looking at Adams house, because we weren’t close enough to his house to see it behind the trees, but I was looking at the house I grew up in.  It looked identical to how I remember it, besides my mom’s grey car outside and the hammock that use to hang between Adam and my house. It was a house full of memories. The house my little sister was born into. The one where we celebrated the most Christmases, and the one where Adam broke his arm trying to scale the bricks outside when we were eight. The house was more than just a house to me, it was the key to the perfect life I once had.

Well, perfect was the last word regular families would use, considering we weren’t a perfect family at all, but to me we were. I was still innocent there. Mom was the only parent I had and I didn't care. She did a good job taking care of Molly and me until the day she died.

“Are you coming Sara?” Massie snapped. I realized she liked me least out of Emily’s friends. I don’t know what I did to make her not like me, but it was pretty obvious she didn't like me.

I stepped out of the car and walked toward the house that was blasting music. I recognized it as Adams house, but with all the music and people scattered over the front lawn smoking and drinking, it barely looked like his house at all.

I followed the girls into the house, my ears ringing with the music banging in the background. I wondered how Adam got the music to even get that loud. All I could see were drunk, hormonal teenagers all around me. There were the slutty girls in their tight clothing, drunk as hell, and the guys who were either chilling and drinking a beer, or flirting with the slutty girls. I followed Emily throw the crowd of people and into Adams family room.

“Mingle” Emily ordered “I’m going to find Adam”

I watched as she disappeared in the sea of dancing, drunk teenagers before taking a seat on the couch. I sat there for a few minutes until a couple sat down next to me and started making out, so to make the situation less awkward I got up and walked into the kitchen to grab a drink.

“Beer?” a boy came up to me and offered. I accepted, even though I hated the taste of beer. It was time for me to be rebellious and loosen up for a change.

“What’s your name, baby?” he said, with a smirk on his face.

“Rachel” I lied, using my mother’s name. It was my fallback. When I didn't want to give out my name I always turned to my mother for help. Even though she was dead it didn't stop her from still being there for me.

“I’m Lewis” he said, with a devilish grin on his face. He leaned in towards me, so our faces were an inch away from touching. “So how come I've never seen you at these parties before?”

“I just moved here” I told him “I started at Gravenport Monday”

“Cool” he said slyly. He then went on talking but I stopped paying attention when something, or rather someone caught my eye. Adam walked in wearing a tight white v-neck and dark washed skinny jeans. Everything fit him so perfectly he could’ve been one of the guys in the Abercrombie and Fitch magazine. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but when you like someone, they might as well be that attractive. He caught a glance at me and smiled warmly, finally accepting the fact that I was home. I guess the talk Tuesday at school had worked. Maybe we were on our way to becoming friends again. It would be a slow journey back to friendship, but it was one I was willing to take.

“Hey!” Lewis said aggressively, grabbed my wrist tightly. I nearly yelped in pain “listen to me when I talk to you”

“I-I’m sorry” I said, nervous now. No one had ever looked at me with that much anger in their eyes. All I wanted to do was get away