The Duchess

John gazed back at her, examining her beauty until it was too much for him. He rocked back on his heels and, before falling backwards, took a step back beside Sherlock. To add to his helplessness, John stood beside Sherlock with an awkward smile, hoping his friend would introduce them to her.

Sherlock broke the ice and stepped forward. “Sherlock Holmes.” He made a polite bow and then turned to John. “This is my Dalmatian.”

“Your what?” John repeated, his eyes widening in humiliation.

“Yes, of course. You get me out all sorts of fires. His name’s Watson—,”

“John Watson.” John stepped forward and took her lilting hand. He wanted to kiss it respectfully, but couldn’t bring himself to do so. Instead, he raised it along with a sealed smile as if he was toasting someone.

Alana broke into a wide smile and a slight shiver shook her body. Still keeping her eyes on the doctor, she said in a bold voice, “I am very pleased that you came, Mr. Holmes. I hope the journey was tolerable.’

“Oh, it was,” Sherlock said as he began walking around the drawing room. “What did you want to speak to us about?”

Elizabeth entered the room and came up behind Alana. She whispered something into her ear that Sherlock picked up to be gesturing towards him and Watson.

“I am fine, thank you,” Alana whispered.

Elizabeth gave a warning glance at the two detectives and then left the room.

“I wanted to speak to you about a letter I received in the mail,” Alana began. “It was a triangle.”

At that, John pulled out his triangle from his pocket and held it out in front of him. “Like this one?”

Nodding her head, the duchess said, “Yes. Three dots with some white and a bit of red.”

“That was meant for her,” Sherlock said over his shoulder. Inhaling, he said, “Well, if that’s all you wanted to tell us, we’re off. Thank you so much for your time.” Sherlock gave an abrupt bow and fled from the drawing room.

Embarrassed, John cleared his throat and excused Sherlock like he’d always done. “I’m sorry, he’s like that.”

Alana smiled and took a seat on one of the sofas. “Would you care for something to drink?”

“Oh no, I’m good. I’ll probably have to go along with my mate.”

“You’re not exactly how they describe you in the papers,” Alana remarked, taking a good look at Watson.

“What do they say?” John chewed the inside of his lip and he could feel his body heating up in anxiety.

“Well, first of all, they keep insinuating that you’re Mr. Holmes’s ‘live-in.’”

John dropped his head and his brows creased in hopelessness. In a disappointed voice, he said, “I better get off. It was more than a pleasure to meet you, and I hope you’re not the lady that believes everything the paper says.” John gulped, wondering if he should speak to her in that tone.

Alana tilted her head and smiled softly. “Quite the contrary, Dr. Watson. I hardly see you in that lifestyle, in fact, I believe your kindness and intelligence is constantly misunderstood when you stand beside a man such as Sherlock Holmes. When you stand alone,” Alana rose from the sofa and walked up to John. “I see an honorable man with high morals and fierce loyalty towards a friend—and only a friend. Please, Dr. Watson, if you and Mr. Holmes agree to help me with this case, I would like you to know that I don’t see you two that way.”

A refreshing wave poured over John and he broke into his widest smile. “Thank you. That means a lot.” John gave her a bow and left the room to join Sherlock.

When he had left, Alana sunk onto the sofa and placed a hand on her racing heart. She looked up at the last spot she had seen the doctor, and didn’t take her eyes off of it until Elizabeth entered the room.

“The detective and his partner are upstairs with Mycroft Holmes. I overheard them saying that this strange ‘messenger’ has been in your house before.”

Alana broke from her trance and stared at Elizabeth with fright. “What? Then, we’ll have to have them stay. Elizabeth, you and I must persuade my parents to let them stay. I know they’ll put up a fuss, but to think that someone came in unnoticed through this heavily guarded house frightens me.”

Elizabeth walked over to the Alana’s triangle and picked it up. “What did they say about this?”

Shrugging, Alana replied, “Not much. Though, Sherlock Holmes left in a hurry after I had showed him, so I suppose he’s onto something.” Looking out the window, Alana added in a tender voice, “The doctor is quite affable.”

“Isn’t he Sherlock’s live-in?”

Alana shot her a disapproving look. “No, he certainly is not. I believe fellows can be close friends without being romantically involved. I do admit, their chemistry is unbelievable, but I certainly don’t see them as lovers.”

At that remark, Sherlock and John rushed in with excited looks on their faces. Sherlock was the first to speak, “We just came back from your room with some evidence. There was a smidgen of blood on your window sill. The intruder had cut himself on an outside nail. I can observe the DNA and that should give us your stalker.”

“So soon?” Alana asked.

“Obviously. Some things aren’t as complicated as they seem,” Sherlock replied proudly.

“If there’s good news, then, there should be bad news, as well.  Isn’t that how these things usually work?” Alana asked cautiously.

John spoke up this time. “Well, the bad news is that we believe he’ll return. Sherlock believes the dead collie incident is tied into all this somehow. We’re still on the brink of this case, but we’ll figure it out and we’ll keep you safe as well.”

“Collie?”

“Yes,” Sherlock said in a strong voice. “A collie dropped dead into a pool of water. The master isn’t on speaking terms, but that’s no concern of mine since I dug the dog’s body up from the gravesite—should give me more information than the boy’s mouth.”

John looked at Sherlock in surprise. “You dug the dog up? Bloody hell, Sherlock.”

“Well, time well spent here. I shall return to my lab. I’ve told Mycroft that John will stay here at the palace and I’ll fetch him in the morning. I need time to think alone.” And with that, Sherlock turned on his heels and walked regally out of the room, letting the flip of his dark blue coat be his farewell.