impossible not to love part 1

Andy hurried through the corridor, her heart racing trying to wrap her head around how her first day as captain of station 19 turned out with their ex chief dying in front of them, her coworker and friend injured and their chief in the hospital.  She was walking through the hallway visably distressed from everything that happend just hours prior.  Quite frankly she needed to see a friendly face who could calm her down a bit. Looking through the hallways fidgeting with her hands she finally spotted  a familiar face. Robert was pacing back and forward in front of a hospital room.

Andy took a deep breath before getting closer to him, she could still read him like a book. His eyes were filled with worry and something else she couldnt quite figure out yet. Sensing his distress Andy approached him quietly. "Robert" she said softly while placing a hand gently on his shoulder.  Robert looked up and his tense expression softened the second he saw Andy's caring eyes. "Andy" He sighed "That's some first day as captain huh?" His lips curled up just enough for Andy to notice "Tell me about it"  She looked throught the tiny window of the hospital room and saw her chief laying there with all kinds of machines checking if she was alright. "How is she doing?"  Robert looked through the window and back to Andy. "They're still doing check ups but the doctors told me she'll be fine eventually" He started pacing again trying to hide his feelings and not wanting to breakdown in the busy hospital hallway. 

"That's great news" Andy whispered relieved. Not getting a reaction from him she realized there was more to the story. "Robert i know you, i know when something is bothering you, believe it or not i still sense it when you're upset. I'm here to listen"

"It's just.. " His hands found his head as he tried to keep his frustration to the minimum. "I never thought it would come to this again, seeing her like this it made me feel the loss of Claire all over again, what if just like with Claire i was a few minutes too late, what if.... i'm not sure i can do this" he looked at her with tearfilled eyes "Robert hey" she grabbed his hands to try and comfort him "she's safe, she's still here. You saved her, you got her out of the rubble, let the doctors do their work and trust them when they say she'll be allright" her eyes trailed from Robert to the busy hallway to her chiefs hospital room seeing her chief moving restlessly she nodded to the room.

"You got this, i'll be here waiting for you" She nodded to the waiting room a little further down the hall "Andy you don't have to" he whispered not wanting to be a burden knowing how stressfull her first day has been already  "I insist, take your time" her hand wrapped around him tightly as he pulled her into a hug. Finding comfort in her touch Robert leaned closer to Andy, no distance between them.  After all this time it still surprised him how well she fit in his arms it's been years since he felt that safety. Something in him got overwhelmed by it, by the love he still has for her. He took a few deep breaths as he relaxed in her arms.

After a minute or two they slowly seperated finding comfort in each others eyes. Robert's hand was still on Andy's waist as he nervously played with the laces of her dress. She noticed the nervous habit he always tried to hide and never would admit. Her hand found his as she squeezed lightly trying to comfort him as she looked over to her chiefs hospital room whispering "you got this, i'll be here when you're ready" as her hand left his and she walked towards the waiting room she looked back once more to see him opening the door to the chiefs room.

He walked in closing the door as slowly as he could before turning around. There she was, the woman he broke up with hours prior, saved her life and told her he wants to love her back, her face was full off bruises and there were some bandages on her arm. She looked tired, fragile even, not like the woman he knows so well. She tried to smile his way but quickly stopped as the pain got the best of her. "You're still here" she whispered. "Yeah i am" he sat down on the chair beside her bed. "No one deserves to wake up alone in a hospital room" not sure what has gotten into him he felt distance from the woman he  spend so many nights with. Something changed, he remembered the feeling of relief after him breaking up with her the feeling of finally hugging the woman he still loved for the first time in over a year. He shook his head trying to get rid of his thoughts. Whatever he was feeling this wasn't the right time or place.