Book Three: Chapter 8

Roger opened his eyes, seeing white light shimmering above him. "Am… Am I dead?"

"Not in Olympus." A tall man in a white robe loomed over Roger. His curly gray hair spread around his head like a man, and he held a wooden staff with a snake curled around it.

Roger sat up, glancing around as his vision cleared. He laid on a bed inside a white marble room with columns along the brick walls. And bright light blazed from an open doorway.

Roger turned toward the tall man. "Who are you?"

The man's eyes glowed white as bright as the plain chamber. "I am Asclepius, God of healing and medicines. Zeus summoned me to heal you and your beast companion."

"Katina, Cilla, and Labda are here too?"

Asclepius nodded. "They are resting in another chamber. You will meet them soon after your recovery is finished."

Roger realized he has a white chiton with a golden ribbon around his waist. The gods must have removed Hades’s armor after Zeus found him. Maybe it was for the best that the Underworld gods got his rightful gear back although it came from the future.

Roger rubbed the back of his neck, feeling his neck bone arched. "I need to see Zeus. It's about his son."

"I know," said Asclepius, frowning. "Zeus found Heracles’s remains in the woods. He roared so loud, his anger created a lightning storm across Greece. But he will listen to you after your rest." The god pointed his staff at Roger’s back. "Your spine was fractured beneath your cracked skull. Without Hades’s armor, your body wouldn't be here."

Roger rubbed his eyes. "You returned it to him?"

"We stored it in Hephaesrus's armory. I do believe Hades will reclaim it soon."

"Great, I guess I will need new armor before the approaching disaster."

Asclepius pulled the white sheet over Roger’s legs. "Rest now, and don't worry. My remedy is still licking your wounds away. One more hour of sleep, and you may walk again."

"Okay…" Roger sighed and laid back. He pulled the sheet over his entire body.

Asclepius smiled. "When you awake again, you will attend the council meeting with the gods to discuss Heracles’s fate. Your beast companion will be there too. And I am sure you will explain everything to us."

"You damn right I will."

After Asclepius left, Roger gazed at the white ceiling, letting his weariness drift through him in peace. 

If Medusa murdered Heracles, does that mean the future was now doomed?

If the future had changed, would Roger still exist? Why hasn't he disappeared yet?

He still breathed on the bed, very much alive and well. 

Maybe there might be a chance to stop Medusa and the Giants from conquering the Greek Gods. Roger being alive proved that nothing has changed yet. 

Whatever Zeus has planned, it might be everyone's last hope. For now, Roger must rest until all the bones inside his body heal. If another fight occurs, he better get ready without failing again. There won't be a next time if he fails one last time.

*****

When Roger woke up, he immediately slid off the bed. Asclepius wasn't in sight, which could mean the meeting was about to begin.

He tightened his riddon belt and exited the white plain bedchamber. Through the light hallway, Roger strolled past tall columns, supporting the coffered ceiling.

As he approached the double doorway at the end, two bulging furry arms grabbed from behind. His face collided into two emonious furry breasts, and the arms squeezed him hard. Although the fur has a sweet mint scent, Roger clenched his teeth, feeling like his eyeballs would pop out.

“Oh thank the gods you are okay, sweetie!” Cilla cried, and licked Roger’s face.

He spat her saliva off his lips. “Psst! Psst! Yeah, I’m happy to see you too.”

Cilla blushed and rubbed her head against Roger’s face like a puppy.

“Get a room you two,” Katina complained. “And put him down! You are squeezing him against our boobs!”

“Please let him go,” said Labda with her cheeks red. “You’re arousing all of us.”

Cilla stuck stuck out her tongue at the two heads and placed Roger down. “Sorry….. What happened? Zeus found you near a broken statue.”

“Yeah, and Zeus got seriously pissed off when he realized it was his son.” Katina held her palm over her muzzle and whispered, “I’m actually happy he died.”

Cilla glared at her. “But he didn’t murdered our queen!”

“So, he humilated us after Hades changed us! At least someone kicked his ass.”

“This isn’t good, Katina,” said Labda. “Without Heracles, no one can stop the Giants from attacking Mount Olympus. The future is doomed now.”

“But why are we still here?” Roger asked. “I’m not a science fiction nerd, but I know if you change the past, you can disappear.”

Labda rubbed her chin. “Hmmmmmmmm, either the future didn’t change yet, or the new future didn’t change us yet. We might still have a chance to save it.”

“How can we-”

“Excuse me.”

Roger jumped when someone tapped his shoulder. He swung around and saw a short kid, wearing a golden helmet with wings on it. He wore a white chiton and he has extra wings on his golden sandals. His eyes sparkled yellow, brighter than his staff. “Who are you?”

The kid held up his golden staff. It almost looked like Aesculapius’s with wings on it. “I’m Hermes, messenger and protector of travellers.”

Roger blinked his eyes. “You look very young.”

Hermes chuckled. “I’m way older than you, mortal.”

“Then you are a midget,” Katina teased.

Hermes glared at her. “If you want to waste time insulting my height, you have already lost your chance. The gods are now waiting for you in the council chamber. They will not be pleased if you hesitate with their patience.”

“We will meet them immediately,” Labda promised.

Hermes nodded and vanished in a flash.

Roger’s mouth hung. “Did he-”

“He can run very fast,” Labda explained. “It is his god power.”

Katina shrugged her left shoulder. “He may be fast, but he talks like Beanie the Frog.”

Roger glanced up at her. “You seen that puppet show?”

“No, but he heard souls talking about him. Dead kids.”

“We learned many histories and pop culture references from the dead,” Cilla explained. “It’s annoying, but we learned a lot. Heeheehee.”

Roger laughed. “He does sound like Beanie the Frog.”

Katina and Cilla laughed with Roger, until Labda cleared her throat.

“We cannot waste the gods’ time or they will punish us,” she warned.

Roger caught his breath. “Right….. Let’s go meet them then.”

Cilla raised an eyebrow. “Are you scared?”

“No.” Roger stepped toward the door while rubbing the back of his head. “Besides Hades and his wife, this is my first time meeting his entire family. Maybe I am a little nervous.”

Labda stepped forward and placed her hand on Roger’ shoulder. “Just relax and don’t speak unless the gods ask you too. They won’t be ruthless as Hades, but they hate being disrespected. Remember that."

"I will." Roger opened the doors and stepped into the council chamber.