Varis

Keith was running as fast as his short legs could carry him down the hallway. The City Guard was after him, and who knew where Jarlaxel went. Varis was most certainly nearby, either hunting him or Jarlaxel. Keith panted from the difficulty of the chase. He was getting too old for this.

A City Guardsmen around the corner, and Keith hurled one of his hand hammers at him, charging the weapon with extreme heat as it left his grip. The burning hammer smashed into the guard's chestplate, melting right through it and burning the guard, who yelled and threw the hammer to the floor.

Keith reached the corner at the same time and finished the unlucky fellow with his warhammer. Keith didn't see anyone down the hallway, but he sent a fireball coursing through it for good measure. He continued running now the other hallway, this time slightly slower.

Ah, to be young again. Well at least now he had more powerful magic. Back then he had to rely more on his weapons and strength, both of which were rusty.

His exhausting task was interrupted when Varis swung in through a window, sending shattered glass into the hallway, blocking Keith's way. Varis started aggressively strumming a tune on his lyre, the melody bringing a feeling of relaxation and weariness. Boy, it sure would be nice to lay down and... NOPE Keith couldn't let Varis's spell win.

Before the sleeping spell could get to the chorus (the most powerful part), Keith chucked his other small hammer at Varis, this time charging it with lightning. The hammer slammed into the bard, throwing him backwards several feet and forcing him to the ground. The spell broke, and Keith felt alert and awake again. Varis drew his longsword and stood up as Keith smoothly pulled his warhammer off of his back and into a fighting stance.

The position reminded him of bygone days, sparring with Varis for fun and practice. Keith thought again of how old he was. Then again, Varis was around 200 years old, so Keith wasn't complaining.

Varis laughed disbelievingly. "You really thought that little stunt back there would let you escape? It didn't. Jarlaxel is dead. My guards told me. He was seen falling to his death after you tried to help him escape through the tower window. You should really always have a backup plan."

"I do," Keith said. "It's called improvisation." He charged Varis and swung his warhammer, cracking the stone floor when Varis dodged out of the way. Varis brought his sword down at Keith's exposed back, but the half-dwarf quickly spun around and blocked the blow with the haft of his hammer.

"Not bad," Varis said. "I had thought you'd be completely incompetent from all those years serving drinks,"

"Who do you think the bouncer is?" Keith grunted, attacking again. "Things tend to be cheaper when you can do them yourself."

"How's the family?" Varis asked, parrying the blow.

"They're doing great," Keith responded as he cast a firebolt with one hand and wielded his hammer with the other. "Annie is studying at the temple."

"Ah yes, Annie. How old is she now? 14?" Varis asked after blocking the firebolt with a shield spell.

"23. She's interested in the circle of light, bless her heart. Drake wants to be a brewer, though." Keith said, summoning a spectral hammer of energy that fought simultaneously with his own.

"Drake is into brewing? I thought he liked sailing last time I checked." Varis reflected, creating several illusions of himself surrounding Keith.

"Last time you checked was 5 years ago. He was just a boy then. He's practically a man now," Keith said, setting down his hammer and firing a sheet of flames in Varis's general direction.