Morzag

"Here." Brick announced triumphantly.

"There's nothing here, just rocks and bushes." The rogue grumbled.

Brick, who was always looking for opportunities to provoke the rogue, smiled to himself as he moved a false bush out of the way to reveal a tunnel into the earth.

"Good job, goblin. Your honesty has saved your life." Selena approved.

Brick grinned again, making sure to look pointedly at Evelyn.

"Stupid goblins," Evelyn muttered under her breath.

Turning back to Selena and Holland, Brick said "Orcs made traps, lots and lots. When goblins took over, left traps still. Very danger. Very."

"We can have Evelyn disarm those easily," Selena planned.

"No. Not those traps. Living." Brick said.

Just as if to prove his point, two cave bears exploded out of the tunnel. One was immediately dispatched by Holland's longsword, the other taken out by Evelyn's knives and Selena's magic.

Evelyn spun to face Brick. "You could've gotten us killed!" She raised her knife as if to finally rid herself of the parasite that Brick was, but then froze, paralyzed by a spell Selena cast.

"Evelyn, we still need the goblin. He can show us where other traps are," Selena scolded. She released the spell, and Evelyn angrily stepped back.

"Well what are we waiting for?" Holland asked. "We have hobgoblins to kill!"

"Alright, Brick, lead the way." Selena said.

One goblin ambush and a pit trap later, and the group finally arrived in the center of the lair. Upon a stone throne etched into the wall sat a kingly hobgoblin, dressed in immaculate armor with an elegant sword strapped to his side. Around the room, other hobgoblin generals sat or stood conversing and looking over maps. Goblin attendants scurried about, bringing food and drink. Brick counted himself lucky not to be those unfortunate slaves. They were killed regularly, either for messing something up, or simply for their overlords' pleasure.

Everyone stopped what they were doing when the adventurers burst into the room. Holland cleaved a general clean in half with a swipe of his sword, Evelyn threw some poison bombs into the center of a large group, and Selena sent a giant fireball hurdling through the air directly at the throne.

After a moment of silence, the group noticed that the general Holland had killed was still standing, staring at them with a puzzled expression. Not in two halves, but like he was before. The poisoned group looked equally confused and healthy. And at the throne, the warlord laughed maniacally, having no visible injuries either.

The attendants and leadership all faded away, as if becoming dust, including the throne, until just the warlord was left. Then he faded, and a real hobgoblin who looked exactly the same stepped out of a part of the wall where he had been concealed. He strode forward, drawing his majestic blade.

"An illusionist!" Selena cried out.

"Stupid magic," Evelyn cursed.

"Blasted mage!" Holland swore.

Brick had nothing to add. The leaders who treated his people so cruelly, who treated him so cruelly just disappeared in seconds. Apparently, they weren't even real! Even his brothers and sisters, slaving away their lives, might have also been imaginary! What was even real anymore? He wondered. Was he an illusion?

Holland had engaged the warlord, who it seemed was truly physically present, Evelyn providing support with arrows and daggers, while Selena stood with a concentrated expression on her face, likely trying to discover the location of the illusionist.