Brick

For any other creatures, the cave would have been dark. But to Brick, it was only dim. No light sources provided this illumination, but rather, years of living in near-darkness had expanded Brick's eyes.

This cave, however, was not the one of his youth. In this foreign place, Brick lay in wait for his prey. He and two other goblins had been stationed here by their hobgoblin masters. While it was a dangerous assignment, the bigger goblinoids had promised superior living quarters. That was enough for Brick. Besides, the Humans likely wouldn't show up. This was only one of many ambushes set up in the area.

His thoughts were shattered when a ball of fire roared to life. He leaped out of the way, but one of his companions wasn't so lucky. The smell of burned goblin flesh insulted Brick's nose.

He turned to face what were undoubtedly the Humans. Sure enough. A wizard stood at the mouth of the cave, she must have been the one who cast the fireball, flanked by a warrior. Reports said there was a third, but Brick didn't notice her until he heard the other goblin's body drop to the ground.

"Tell us what we want, or you'll die like your friend." The rogue threatened.

Brick considered himself a brave goblin. Most of his kind would cower in fear at the mere sight of an adventurer, but here Brick was, staring down three of them.

However, he also considered himself a smart goblin. So he dropped his weapon.

"Good choice," The wizard said, stepping forward. "Now, where is the hobgoblin camp?"

"Rucctark?" Brick asked.

"Oh don't play a fool." The wizard said, summoning a burning orb of energy into her hand. "I know 30 different languages, and I also know a lie. Speak to us in Common."

"Yes, very sorry master mage." Brick hastily said.

"We shall see." The wizard turned to the fighter. "Carry on with the interrogation."

The brute smiled, swiping his sword through the air menacingly. Brick knew if he protested, they would kill him. Of course, they'd likely kill him after they no longer needed him anyway. Very similar to hobgoblins, in fact. Brick had learned long ago that the trick was to always remain useful.

"Okay, goblin. What's your name?" The warrior said in a deep voice, placing a heavy boot on Brick's chest.

"Brick." Brick replied. Better keep things as short as possible.

"Okay, Brick," He put his blade on Brick's neck. "Start talking."

"The army is camped north of here." Brick said quickly.

"Impossible! We already checked there!" The rogue exclaimed. "This one is useless! We should've just killed it to start with."

"Wait! They are hidden!" Brick cried.

The wizard raised an eyebrow. "Explain. Goblin."

"The caves. They took it from the orcs."

"That would explain the trouble we've had finding them," The warrior said.

"It could be lying," The rogue pointed out.

"As I said, I can tell if someone is lying." The wizard reminded the group. "And this goblin is not."

"But which caves? The area is filled with them." The rogue complained.

"Brick can take you there. Brick knows the way." Brick offered eagerly.

The wizard grew thoughtful. "How do we know you won't betray us? Slip off at night to alert your masters, or kill us in our sleep?"

"Brick smart goblin. Brick only help." Brick stressed.

"Are you really going to have a goblin guide us? Holland is a much better tracker. We can easily find the caves." The rogue argued.

"We had Holland last time, and still couldn't find the hobgoblins." The wizard countered. The warrior, apparently named Holland, looked a little sad at that. "Besides, the goblin likely knows where all the traps are, when patrols are switched, and what defensive measures the army has."

"Yes, Brick knows everything." Brick agreed.

The rogue sighed. "You know I hate these... these monsters Selena!"

"I know, Evelyn. But if keeping one alive ensures that hundreds will die, isn't that a good trade?" Selena questioned.

"Ugh!" Evelyn said, storming out of the cave.

"Well, goblin, it would appear you are coming with us." Selena said, turning to Brick.

Holland sheathed his sword and took his foot off of Brick. "He's starting to grow on me."

The corner of Selena's lips tugged into a smile. "Don't get too attached. He might bolt tonight."

"I'm sure Evelyn will keep a very close eye on him." Holland said.

Selena's smile broadened. "Undoubtedly."

Holland took a long rope out of his bag, measured a few feet, cut some off, and then cut another, longer piece off as well. With the shorter piece, he tied Brick's hands behind his back. With the longer one, he tied a leash around Brick's neck.

"This rope doubles as a noose, so don't get any ideas." Holland told Brick.

"Yes, master warrior." Brick said.

"Come on, then." Selena called to them, already at the mouth of the cave. "I think Evelyn might have started out to kill the entire army on her own. We'd better hurry to help her."

Holland boomed a deep laugh, trotting quickly to the exit with Brick in tow.

Yes, Brick was a prisoner. A slave. A tool later to be discarded. But he was alive. And that was what mattered.