Keith

Keith Balderk had seen many, many years. The half-dwarf had made friends, enemies, and allies. He thwarted Xanthar's evil plans many a time, and used negotiating instead of war to win over the drow to his side. After settling that matter peacefully, Keith finally settled down in a city largely filled with drow and opened a tavern, the Golden Mouse, which had been his dream for as long as he could remember. He went on a few more adventures after that, but his cozy life with his family and his tavern became more important to him than thrilling quests. He went on to be elected a representative of the city, and worked out many negotiations with Waterdeep and other major cities, working on trade agreements and peace treaties. After his time as an ambassador, he returned again to his tavern, this time, permanently. Or so he hoped.

Alas, fate had other plans.

A familiar figure entered the Golden Mouse one day, and Keith was mildly surprised.

"Varis! Welcome, old friend. What can I get for you today?" Keith greeted.

"Revenge." The elf breathed into Keith's ear.

Keith felt a chill. "How would you like that served? Cold, warm, or with a pinch of mercy sprinkled over it? Oh, also, you can get it in a mug, a wine glass, c-"

"You know why I'm here, Keith. Ten years ago you betrayed me, and ten years ago you became an enemy to Waterdeep, an enemy to the government, and an enemy to me. Since we've been friends for so long, I decided to save you. I stuck my neck out for you, got you pardoned. Why do you think you were left alive when you were serving as ambassador? Waterdeep would have loved to see their most wanted criminal dead in an alley somewhere."

Ten years ago, Keith had confronted Jarlaxel, the leader of drow. Jarlaxel was incredibly powerful, and even with the help of Varis and Ignis, Keith knew they wouldn't prevail. And so he decided to try a safer option. Negotiation, as it turns out, was not the way Varis wanted to handle the situation. Varis, being an elf, and morally and eternally opposed to drow, since they were dark elves. He wanted nothing more than to finish Jarlaxel and rid the world of that stain of evil. While Keith and Jarlaxel were talking it out, Varis used his bardic magic to seize control of Keith's body. Fortunately, Keith fought off the hex with his willpower, and suddenly, Varis was very obviously in opposition of not only Jarlaxel, but also his friends.

At that very moment, the city guard showed up, and an epic fight ensued. Varis sided with the guards, and Ignis and Keith fled with Jarlaxel.

All this being said, Keith could understand why Varis thought he had been betrayed. He had no idea that the repercussions of the event could have been so serious, though.

"Nice to see you're still saving my back," Keith said sarcastically.

"Now is no time for jokes, Keith," Varis said. "I have the Waterdeep City Guard stationed around your tavern, and they'll move in if you don't come with me."

"What are you going to do with me? Arrest me? Throw me in jail? Execute me?" Keith wondered aloud.

"No," Varis said, a cold smile spreading across his lips. "You're going to help me assassinate Jarlaxel."

Keith gulped. "So, cold it is, then."