fact #106 (Game)

THE MIDNIGHT GAME

It is believed that the midnight game was an old pagan ritual that was used as a punishment for those people who dared to disobey the gods.

Here's how to play it....but don't play it.. You never know what'll happen

Supplies:

Candle

Lighter or book of matches

A writing implement

A piece of paper

A wooden door, closed

Salt (enough to make a decent-sized circle around yourself)

How to play:

Write your full name (first, middle, last) on your piece of paper and then, using the pin, prick your finger and place one drop of your blood on the paper allowing it to soak in.

You will want to play the game inside a house/building where you have plenty of room to spread out and move around. You must break away from each other when the game begins so you’ll want room to move about without constantly being in each other’s way.

Turn off all the lights inside wherever you are playing.

When midnight approaches, set your piece of paper in front of the door, light your candle, and set it atop of the piece of paper.

Now, here’s the tricky part of initiating the game. You must knock on the wooden door 22 times and the final knock must take place at the moment the clock strikes midnight, otherwise the game will not work. This is actually a good reason to use multiple doors. One of you is bound to hit the door at the stroke of midnight.

After the 22nd knock, open the door, blow out your candle, then close the door again.

Light your candle immediately.

Assuming you have followed all the rules, the Midnight Man is now in your home, and your job is to avoid him at all costs until 3:33 am.

You should begin to walk around inside your home. You’re allowed to go anywhere except outside but do not stop moving for any reason. You have become prey for the Midnight Man, and he won’t stop stalking you until the game ends.

If your candle goes out, you have ten seconds to relight its flame. If you’re successful, keep moving. If you fail to do so, you should immediately make a circle of salt around you large enough for you to sit down within its borders and stay there until the game ends at 3:33 am.

Should you feel a sudden drop in temperatures, hear phantom whispers, or see a dark, shadowy figure, the Midnight Man is near. Again, keep moving and protect your candle’s flame.

At 3:33, the game is ended and you may now, turn on the lights in your home.

Warning:

Do NOT turn the lights on during the game.

Do NOT substitute a flashlight for the candle.

Do NOT allow yourself to fall asleep once the game has begun.

Do NOT use someone else’s blood on your paper. (That’s cheating!)

Do NOT try to provoke the Midnight Man in any way during the game. Your job is stay on the run, not stage a confrontation with the beast.

And finally, and perhaps the most creepy of the bunch, don’t assume that just because the game is over the Midnight Man has left. Some say once you’ve played, he never truly leaves. He’s always watching. Even now…while you’re reading this.