TWELVE

NOTE: this whole chapter is flashbacks! 

time to learn about Y/n's past :D

first part is in third person before changing to second person. i found it easier to write a child's pov in third person

and also, I finished the story today so... 4 chapters left! (including the epilogue)

enjoy!!

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

There was something about New York that made four years old Y/n wrap her arms tighter around herself as she followed her mother.

The city that never sleeps.

New York surely lived up to that name. Y/n glanced back behind her, almost bumping into someone before she quickly stepped away to avoid them. "Watch where you're going, kid."

"Sorry," a hastily said apology. Y/n glanced around again, sighing when she realized her mother was somewhere in the crowd. She fists the remaining of her red scarf before quickening her pace. A part of her felt free as she wandered the streets, but the number of people was overwhelming.

Y/n glanced around again before she suddenly whipped around with her hands out, only to sighed when she realized it was her mother behind her. Agatha's face was showing disappointment and annoyance as she rolled her eyes and picked up Y/n. "Walk faster, darling."

People walked past them and faces became a blur as Y/n allowed her mother to carry her. They were walking faster now.

"Mommy, where are we going?" Her voice came out soft, and her mother shook her head disapprovingly.

"Speak up, Y/n. You won't get anywhere with that voice. It's bad enough that you can't do magic," the second part was spoken quieter, to herself, but Y/n still heard it. Her eyes watered and Agatha flicked it away, shaking her head again. "None of that, my darling. You're going to love it here with the humans."

Y/n bit her trembling lips, a tear sliding down her cheek. "Do you not love me anymore, mommy?"

Agatha sighed but did not reply, cursing as someone bumped into them and pushed others out of the way. The more they walked, the more people disappeared. Y/n glanced around curiously, hiding her face in Agatha's wild curls as she glanced at the place they came from.

They were in an alleyway now. Few lights illuminate this part of the city and if Y/n was being honest, it looks like a ghost town. Trash lined the street and Y/n found herself clinging onto her mother tighter.

Another few steps took them to the front door of an unknown house and Agatha gently placed Y/n down. She bent down to Y/n's level, wiping away the lingering tears. She kissed Y/n's forehead, stepped away.

Y/n watched with wide eyes as Agatha flicked her wrist and rang the doorbell. A tear slid down her cheek as she reached forward but Agatha shook her head, giving her a small smile and faded with the night.

The rain started pouring, and Y/n felt as if the whole world was crying with her as she sank to the ground, pulling her legs into her chest. The light of the front pouch then turned on and the door was thrown open, a stern-looking woman looking out and glancing down at Y/n.

"Where are your parents, child?" Her voice wasn't soft, it wasn't comforting. Just cold and flat, heartless. Y/n shook her head, shrinking away from the woman, who rolled her eyes and pulled her arms, forcing Y/n to stand up. "No parents. How tragic. Now stop being a useless child and use the bathroom down the hall. We cannot have water dripping. You'll be put with the rest of the children later."