ONE

Mackenzie Porter as Cassandra 'Cassie' Bainbridge

"Hi!" The woman beams when she opens the front door. "Are y'all new here?"

"We sure are! My name's Sue and this is my husband, Lee, and this," Sue rests her hand on the top of her four year old daughter's head. "This is our little girl Cassie."

"Well welcome! I'm Sally, this is Mike and this is Michael, our boy." The woman says, gesturing to a man and a five year old boy beside her.

Michael looks up at his dad then at Cassie who looks up at her mom then back at Michael.

"Well, why don't y'all come inside?" Sally says, smiling warmly.

Michael and Cassie take off to the backyard, laughing and giggling.

+++

"Michael!" Cassie squeaks, grabbing his hand as they race through the woods. "We're gonna get in trouble!"

"Pfft. No we're not." He replies, looking up at the trees. "Here!" He nudges her toward the makeshift steps nailed to the trunk of the tree.

He goes up first to make sure it's safe before he lets Cassie up into the treehouse he and his dad built years and years ago.

"I had no idea this was a thing." Cassie says, hunched over so she doesn't hit her head.

"Yeah, I forgot it was a thing until like last week when I was talkin' a walk through the woods."

She sighs as she sits, her feet dangling over the edge of the wood with Michael by her side. She rests her head on his shoulder and smiles to herself.

They start their senior year soon and they're both nervous, Cassie more than Michael.

"I love you." She whispers, wrapping her arm around his.

Michael smiles. "I love you too."

+++

Cassie grins as she watches her boyfriend's pickup pull up to her house. He's been off on a camping trip with the boys for the past week and he's finally back.

He's finally home!

She races off the porch and leaps into his arms, hugging him tightly as he spins her around.

"I missed you." She whispers, her feet kicked up behind her.

Michael laughs. "I missed you too, baby." He kisses her cheek then sets her down.

"Sandy, c'mon now!" Her little brother, Justin, shouts from the second truck pulling into the drive. Cassie grins and wraps him in a hug too then her dad.

"C'mon in and eat, boys." Mama, Sue, shouts from the screen door. "Supper's hot!" Cassie leaps onto Michael's back as they head back to the house.

"Smells great, Mama." Michael says, setting Cassie on her feet.

"Thank you, baby. Cass, come over here and get plates out."

"Okay Mama." She kisses her father on the cheek then heads into the kitchen.

The guys wash up and get sat at the table while Sue and Cassie get everything ready for them.

Very old fashioned.

After Lee says grace, everyone digs in.

"Lee tell Sue 'bout that buck y'almost shot." Michael says with a mouthful of food.

"No, don't." Justin says, shaking his head.

"Sue, your boy ruined what would've been the best kill here in Neshoba County- maybe all of Mississippi." Lee shakes his head.

"My boy?"

"Mama..."

"What did you do?" Cassie cackles as she locks eyes with her little brother.

"This boy, he-"

"C'mon, dad-"

"Stop inter- stop interrupting me!" Lee laughs that contagious belly laugh.

"Dad-"

"Justin goes 'round back behind the cabin to take a leak, right-"

"Michael!"

"He comes back around and shouts 'hey dad, look at that buck!' And scares the damn thing off!" Michael shouts, laughing hard.

Everyone laughs, including Justin.

"Nice goin' Shooter." Cass snorts.

After dinner, Michael and Cassie are sitting on the front porch step watching the sunset. Their fingers are tangled up together while her head is on his shoulder, the orange hue highlighting her big brown eyes and her cute summertime freckles perfectly.

He sighs softly. "I love you."

Cassie lifts her head and looks up at him. "I love you too." She smiles back, kissing him so sweetly it makes him blush. He smiles shyly, his cheek against the top of her head.

It's nights like tonight he wishes could last forever; his girl by his side and the sun sinking down across the big overgrown lot.

But, unfortunately, all things must come to an end.

+++

Michael yawns as he stirs awake, his legs stretching out under the sleeping bag. He yawns again as he looks over to see Cassie curled up tightly against him. She hums softly, pressing herself closer against him when a southern breeze floats through the crisp morning air.

"Hey." He whispers, brushing his thumb across her flushed cheek.

She hums again as she stretches and opens her eyes. "Early." She mumbles, burying her face in his chest.

Michael chuckles as he rubs her back. "Can't believe you're leavin'."

"I know." She sighs, turning on her back. "I know."

"Are you sure you wanna leave?"

"No. It's scary to think about leavin' everyone." She rubs her eyes. "I don't know if I can do it."

"Ah, you'll be fine." He says, pulling her close. "I just never thought you'd leave."

"I might not leave."

"What?"

"I'll stay if you want me to."

"Baby-"

"Because if you want me to stay, I will."

"I can't ask you to stay for me."

Cassie leans up and sighs. "I'm gonna miss you."

Michael runs his hands through her hair. "I'm gonna miss you too." He brushes away a tear that slips down her sunburnt cheek. "Don't cry."

"Shut up." She tries to tease but her voice comes out strangled and weak. "I'm scared, Michael."

"It's a big change." Michael whispers. "Leavin' home."

"This is all I know. Small town things."

"It's scary, I know." He rubs his hand across her back. Cassie sighs and buries her face in his chest. "You gotta go, Cass." He says. "This town is too small for you. You can't grow into the person you wanna be if you stay."

"You want me to go?"

"Yes and no." Michael brushes her hair out of her face. "Yes because you are gonna do some great things in your life and no because you're leavin' me."

Cassie sighs and nods, blinking away tears. "I love you, Michael." She whispers. "I always will."

"I'll quit lovin' you when the Mississippi runs dry."