23 -Invitation

Camilla White

Sunday went by too quickly.

Never in a million years would I think he'd want to be able to spend the day with me freely, with no prying eyes. For a moment there, I'd thought it had the goal of having a major rendezvous, but it wasn't the case.

We didn't have sex, he didn't even kiss me—on the mouth, at least.

There were a lot of lingering touches and caresses, lustful gazes and cheek and forehead kisses. He had made it clear that the goal was to get to know me better and spend some time with me. That's exactly what he did.

It was dreamy.

Heartwarming.

Behind all of that hard and assertive exterior, lies a warm and loving man. Whoever ends up marrying him, will be the luckiest woman alive.

"What's wrong?" Mariah's voice breaks my reverie.

"Nothing, just deep in thought. Why?"

"You got this sad and longing look in your eyes. Missing your momma?" She asks with a sad sheepish smile.

She's a good girl and tries to keep out gossip as much as she can, even though it's quite a house when working in places like this. In this household, regarding work, she's my right hand, being able to do a little bit of everything.

Currently, she's preparing a chocolate cake. I came by a few minutes ago to leave next week's menu and stayed to catch up with her. She was excited to tell me about her day off, and how she had been on a date for the first time in her life.

"Sorry, something you said just reminded me of her," I lie with a weak smile.

She can't know the real reason as to why I dozed off.

"Anyway," I try going back to the original subject. "How in the hell are you twenty-two and only now going on a date for the first time?"

Her porcelain-like cheeks turn crimson, "Well, no one had asked until now."

"What?" I gasp, offended. "These men don't know how to spot a beautiful woman even when it's right in front of their eyes."

She giggles and goes back to the batter.

"Oh, Camilla!" She exclaims. "The butler left a letter for you just a couple of minutes ago. It should be on the counter of the island."

"Thank you, you're a darling."

The first thing I notice on the envelope is my college's logo. It makes me frown because it's been a while since I've finished it. There's no reason for letters anymore. Still, the curiosity takes the best of me and I open it, revealing a beautiful piece of paper, framed with floral decorations.

An invitation. It's bidding me for a reunion gala, on the fifth of November. Exactly a week from today.

To be able to go to London, and meet with old friends that sometimes I wish I would have stayed in touch with, is extremely appealing. Not to mention the opportunity to get out of this house for a little bit.

It could give me some clarity on everything...

Hopefully, the Duke will give me two days off so I can go and have fun for once.

"Mariah, do you have everything under control?"

"Yes, miss. Why?" She eyes my letter curiously and I suppress the urge to chuckle.

She means well but sometimes curiosity just gets the best of people. I get it, it has happened to me too. It's hard not to know each other's business sometimes.