Down By the Quarry

After a couple weeks, things were pretty good. Daryl taught me how to hunt, fight hand to hand combat, (which is way harder than it sounds), and in turn, I taught him how to mend cuts, bones, everything I knew.

One night, while I was sitting inside the RV, I heard rustling outside it. Looking out the window, I saw a shape walking by. For a second, I thought it was a walker. Until I saw the smooth movements of a person. Then I caught the glint of a crossbow.

What the hell is he doing? I wondered. I noticed that he was on his way to the quarry. Alone. Quietly, I grabbed my knife fork the beside table, and glanced at Dale. He was snoring on the couch, occasionally the corners of his mouth twitched, showing that he was dreaming.

Silently, I crept out of the RV, following Daryl's tracks.

Eventually, I found him by he water. He was just standing there, his crossbow against his leg. He didn't seem to know I was there. The white moonlight washed over him, making his shadow stretch behind him. Confused, I straightened up slightly. The water gently lapped at the rocks by his boots. His face was tilted towards the moon. Slowly, he sat down, keeping his gaze on the moon he appeared to be in deep thought. A gentle breeze blew by, tossing his dusty hair to the side. The sight of him looking so peaceful made me smile.

Carefully, I stood up. Quietly, I walked over. When I was only a few feet behind him, a rock clattered. Daryl glanced behind him, grabbing his knife. I raised my hands, stepping back.

"Sorry." I whispered, scared to disturb the quiet night. He grunted and sheathed his knife, turning back to the water. Careful not to disturb him, I settled down beside him. I watched the water. The water rippled. The moonlight rose with the waves, occasionally breaking gassing the shore. We sat in silence for a while. We must have spent the next hour just watching the water.

"It's peaceful." I whispered, not wanting to disturb the peaceful air.

"Yeah." Daryl grunted. It was quiet again. "How'd you find me?" He asked, glancing at me.

"Saw you walking around outside, and then I followed your tracks." I explained.

The corners of Daryl's lips twitched. "Good job." He praised.

"I learned from the best." I stated, smiling at him.

"I ain't the best." He muttered, looking down again.

"Oh don't give me that bologna. Yes you are." I declared, nudging him.

"Nah. Merle's tha best." Daryl grumbled.

"But he didn't each me. So that makes you the best." I pointed out. "My history teacher, Mister Everett, said that, 'Those who can teach, are always better than those who can follow'." I sighed. I missed Mr. Everett. We'd had that weird, student/teacher friendship. One time, I called him but his first name, Lee, and he made me write a twenty page essay on the Civil War.

Daryl found it funny. "A'right. Maybe I am." He stated.

"You are. Daryl, you're my friend." I declared, smiling at him.

"Yeah." He muttered.

"That means you're stuck with me." I stated, smiling at him with mischief.

"Oh yeah?" He demanded, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah." I said.

"Well then, bet ya can't stay with me in the water." He dared.

"Is that a challenge?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Yep." He said, standing up. He set his bow down, and kicked his shoes off. I stood up as well, taking my shoes off. I glanced up at him. He was waiting patiently. Fully clothed.

"Aren't you gonna take your shirt off?" I asked, taking mine off. I wore a tank top underneath.

"Nah." He stated.

"Well, with all that material on, you're gonna be slowed down by a ton." I stated, taking my jeans off. "That means I'll have the advantage."

"Not if I have a head start." Daryl pointed out. The second he said that, he ran into the water, throwing himself out.

"Cheater!" I called after him, running to the waters edge. I threw myself in, not prepared for how freezing it was. I resurfaced, glancing around. Daryl was already a quarter of the way there. "You cheater!" I declared, calling above the waves. Quickly, I started to kick my legs, scooping water with my arms.

Quickly, I got worn out. I realized that Daryl was already three fourths of the way there. I was only a forth. When he got to the shore, he turned around. Cupping his mouth in his hands, he shouted.

"C'mon princess!"

I tried paddling faster. When I finally made it, Daryl was laying on the shore, hands behind his head. He opened his eyes when I came up.

"Glad you could finally git here." He stated.

"Shut up." I grumbled.

"Nah. So, still think he can keep up with me?" He asked, sitting up.

"No. But you're still stuck with me." I declared, flopping down beside him.

"Yeah." He muttered, gazing at the lake. His clothes stuck to him, outlining his body.

"Y'know, I'm gonna have to wash those now." I pointed out.

"Nah." He muttered.

"Yes I am. I will sneak into your tent, gather all your clothes, and wash them." I declared.

"Good luck. Merle'll kill ya." He muttered.

"Ok, then I'll only wash yours." I said. "You're not going to smell like crap."

"A'right.. He grumbled. "Wear a clothes pin." He muttered under his breath.

I laughed, nudging Daryl. He chuckled, and we stayed silent, gazing at the water.

You're my friend, Daryl Dixon. And I'll never leave you. Never.