Prologue

I wake up to whining next to my face. I open my eyes to a big black nose.

"Buddy. What do you want?" I groan, turning over. It's too early for this.

Suddenly, the blankets are ripped away from me. Shivering as the chilly air hits my bare skin, I sit up, scowling at the black lab. He sits in the doorway, my sheets in his mouth. He wags his tail with triumph.

"You wanna go on a walk? Huh Bud?" I ask in my baby voice. At the word, "walk", he instantly drops the sheets and runs to the living room. I swing my legs over the side of the bed, glancing at the clock.

9:34 am

Who needs an alarm clock when you have a dog? I wonder to myself, chuckling at my own joke. Then I get out of the bed, wandering over to my oak wood dresser. Taking out a pair of exercising pants and a sweatshirt, I pull them on. Then I followed Buddy out to the living room. He was sitting by the door, thumping his black tail against the carpet.

"Alright Bud. Let me grab breakfast really quick." I stated, heading to my bathroom. I glanced at myself in the mirror. Then I grabbed my brush, attempting to tame the black mess that I called hair. Finally, after battling the beast, i smoothed it out enough to put a ponytail in. When I was satisfied with my appearance and took care of a few other things, I headed to my apartment kitchen. Going into the pantry, I grabbed a granola bar and an apple. I wasn't one for eggs and bacon. While I bit into the apple, I filled Buddy's food dish with some kibble. "Eat breakfast first, then we'll go out." I ordered. Then I sat down at the table, picking up my fully charged phone. I got a text message from my best friend, Melissa.

Melissa: Happy Birthday bitch! We're going out today for brunch whether you like it or not.

I rolled my eyes. Of course she'd make me go out on my birthday. Then again, you only turn twenty five once. How the hell did we become friends? I wondered as I replied.

Me: Ok. But I gotta go to class at one. And I'm bringing Buddy.

After a few moments, I got a reply.

Melissa: KK. See you at 10.

Me: K. Ttyl

I put my phone down and crunched into my apple, letting the sweet flavor flood throughout my mouth. I glanced at the time on the microwave clock.

9:45am.

Melissa never told me where. I thought. Pulling my phone out again, I went to her.

Me: Where at?

Melissa: Le Cafe de France?

Me: Sure.

I liked their croissants. Le Cafe De France was a tiny French cafe in the middle of Athens, Georgia. I shoved my phone into my pocket, continuing my apple.

Swallowing the last bit of apple, I put the granola bar back. Don't want to get too full. I grabbed Buddy's leash. As soon as he heard the jingling of the leash, he jumped up from his couch and nearly tackled me to the ground.

"Buddy!" I exclaimed, gently shoving him off me. Once he calmed down a bit, I stood up straight and pinched my fingers together. "Sit." I commanded. Reluctantly, Buddy sat down, his tail wagging a mile a minute. "Good boy." I praised him, connecting the red leash with his red collar. As soon as they were connected, Buddy shot up and raced for the door. I caught up to him, grabbing the leash. Grabbing my keys from a small hanger on the door, I locked the door to my small apartment.

...

Buddy and I jogged along the sidewalk towards the cafe. With Green Day playing in my ears, I saw Melissa sitting at a small table outdoors. Her red hair hung in loose curls over her shoulders. She was on her phone, until I jogged up. She glanced up, her face brightening. I took out my earbuds as I neared her.