08: Into the light

"My daughter...does she serve you well?"

"Oh yes," Taehyung says with a nod. "She is the best shield."

"That is wonderful news then," your mother smiles before she bravely grabs the Lord's hand and Taehyung has no shame in letting her. "Please take care of her, my Lord. Y/N may not look like it but she is fragile and I do not want any bad omens to lay upon her, she's been through enough growing up and trying to protect us all." There is a motherly love in her eyes as she speaks of you and for a moment Taehyung envies you.

"All her life she's been living for others, protecting others and putting her life in danger because of them. And I understand right now that it is her duty as your shield but please treat her well. She is good at hiding her feelings but if you look a little closer, there is a girl who wishes to be happy and live a life of her own. It hurts my heart when she only remembers to take care of others and forgets about her own self. Please remind her to treat herself well, remind her that it's okay to not be strong all the time. A shield serves her Lords until death but I know with a shield like her, you'd never want anything bad to happen to her, right?"

"No, I do not," Taehyung admits. "She is far stronger and braver than others."

"And she has the most beautiful heart, Lord Taehyung." She squeezes his hand as a single tear rolls down her cheek. "Please take good care of that heart of hers."

"...You have my words."

.

.

.

"Looks like things are better with your sister."

"It is," you laugh and he smiles at the happiness on your face. "Thank you, my Lord, for coming along and letting me come in the first place."

Taehyung shrugs. "It was Yoongi's idea."

You stopped in the middle of walking, not expecting such a reply. "What?" You ask, laughing a little as you rush to get back on track with the same pace as the chariot again. "Lord Yoongi?"

"He's going to lecture you if he knows you doubted his kindness."

"Yoongi and kindness are two very rare things that combines with each other, my Lord, of course I'm doubtful."

"Mhm," he nods, "just don't tell him that."

"Right," you muse languidly and he watches as you play around with the little dandelions that are planted around the road, making the best out of the long walk.

The words of your mother's echoes in his head at the sight of your happy smile, humming a soft song without much care in the world.

A few days prior Taehyung was watching you from where he stood, frowning at the way you seem to be distracted during your battles. It wasn't like you, you weren't dancing. Your eyes strayed away from your opponent, hands barely even gripping the sword that was bestowed upon you.

The most beautiful heart, your mother said, and seeing you from where he sits on the chariot, Taehyung lets himself smile a little.

.

.

.

"Thank you."

Yoongi glares at you unamusingly but you're used to it. It's a grimace, he gives you as he returns to reading whatever is in his hand. "For what?"

You stand there a smiling mess as your body sways back and forth like a small child. Yoongi tries to ignore you to focus on his book while he sits sideways on his chair, leaning his forearm on one of the arms while his legs are placed on the other.