Prologue -- New Knight

The lightsaber sliced quickly and easily through the braid at the back of her head, the heat tickling her neck.

"Thank you, Master," Taska said, bowing to Master Yoda as she stood. 

Turning around, she nodded to all of the masters and fellow students around her, who kindly nodded back.

"Welcome to the Knighthood, Master Rokanh," Master Windu said.

And they sent her on her way.

* * *

She thought by then, she had matured. She had achieved knighthood, sure that the trials were the most harrowing thing she could have faced. 

Of course, the 22-year-old never imagined she would have ended up here.

A couple of months after that sacred ceremony, she learned of a great many things the council themselves had not been aware of. There was a war brewing, a galaxy waiting to tear itself apart, and the Republic at the center of it. 

She was not there for the battle of Geonosis. Instead, her old master, Shaak Ti, told her to stay on Kamino. Not only did the council send them there because they were sure the two level headed women would make a good impression on  the Kaminoans, but because Master Rokanh desperately wanted to see the clones. It was fascinating how they could make something from nothing. It was even more fascinating when, as they drew closer to the planet, she could sense a presence in the Force such as she had never felt before. It was unified, seemingly of one mind, and yet each presence that made up the feeling was distinct.

"You're getting that far away look you used to get whenever I took you to the Archives," Master Ti said with a smile. "You're always so eager to learn. That will make you a good teacher."

"Well, isn't this exciting? Can't you feel it, too?"

"The massive presence these men have in the force? Yes. I suspect there will be much to discover and even more to work on once we reach the surface." Shaak Ti settled back in her seat, but Taska leaned forward to look out the viewport, marvelling at the cloudy surface of the planet. 

She hoped her excitement was enough to hide her worry, though she was sure they all felt it. Who commissioned this clone army? And--more importantly--when were they going to need it?