004

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮word count: 2397╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

word count: 2397
╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

I sat in the courtroom shaking my leg anxiously, waiting for the verdict.

July 30th, 2007

"Haruki Hayashida, you are sentenced to 2 years in juvenile detention for attempted murder against Nobutaka Osanai. Bail will be set at $500,000."

My heart dropped as I watched Pah being dragged out of the courtroom. Fucking idiot... IDIOT! The one time I wasn't there! The one time I decided to stay behind!

I sat alone in the courtroom, lost in my thoughts, when I felt two people sit beside me.

"Tell Kenny we need to bail him out."

"Tell Mikey I think it's a bad idea!"

The two started to argue as I sat in the middle. I balled my fist and started to become angry. I stood up and turned to both of them. I hit Mikey first and then Draken.

I couldn't even fathom words. They both just stared at me, and I walked away.

I stood at the desk in the bike shop, finishing up some paperwork, when the front doorbell rang. I looked up, and my frown immediately changed to a bright grin.

"Hi Baji, what can I do for you today?" I asked.

He usually doesn't come here ever. I know how uncomfortable it makes him just looking at the shop, let alone coming in.

"You see, there's something wrong with my bike. The brakes won't work," he said, chuckling nervously with his hands in his pockets.

"Bring it around back, and I'll check it out for you," I said.

I met him around back and went to grab my toolbox. I really didn't want to even move it, knowing the photo was in there. I grabbed the second toolbox from the closet instead.

I squatted down to take a look at the bike while he watched me intently. I looked at his bike, confused. "Did you cut your own brake line?" I asked him.

He didn't look me in the eyes and scratched the back of his head. "Maybe. I kinda just wanted to see you but didn't have an excuse."

"Baji, you could've just come by. You didn't need to do all this," I laughed. "Well, you did a real number on this brake line, and it'll take at least a week for the right parts to arrive."

He smiled and became giddy. "Does that mean I can borrow one of your bikes!?"

I sighed. "I suppose. I have two more in the side shed if you want to take a look at them."

He walked over to the shed to choose which one he'd like better. I stood up, wiping my hands with my rag. This kid really cut his own brake lines to come see me?