•Chapter two•

~Wendigo~

_______________________

Sam jolted awake in the passenger seat of the impala.

Dean looked over at him.

August was playing with her feet in her car seat.

"You okay?" Dean asked his brother.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sam glanced over at him, then back at the road.

"Another nightmare?" Dean asked.

Sam cleared his throat, not answering the question.

It was then quiet for a for short moment.

"You wanna drive for a while?" Dean asked making Sam look over at him and chuckle.

"In your whole life, you never once asked me that." He stated.

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind." Dean said, almost annoyed.

"Look, man, you're worried about me. I get it, and thank you. But I'm perfectly okay." Sam told him.

Dean just hummed, not wanting to argue.

Sam sighed and grabbed the map off the dash.

"Alright. Where are we?" He asked dean.

"We are just outside of grand junction." Dean told him.

August laughed making Dean look to her in the rearview mirror and smile.

"You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." Sam said.

"Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing." Dean stated. "If you want to find the thing that killed Jessica..."

"Got to find dad first." Sam finished his brother's sentence.

"Dad disappearing, and this thing showing up again after 20 years? It's no coincidence. Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do." Dean stated.

"It's weird, man. These coordinates he left us, this black water ridge..." Sam started.

"What about it?" Dean asked.

"There's nothing there." Sam said. "It's just woods." He put the map down into his lap. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"

Dean looked over at him before speeding up down the road.

~~~

"So black water ridge is pretty remote." Sam said as he was looking at a big 3D map of the trail. "It's cut off by these canyons here— rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place..."

"Dude, check out the size of this friggin' bear." Dean said as he was looking at a picture of a huge bear and a man standing behind it.

The baby harness was strapped to dean, august of course was in it. That's where she spent a majority of her time anyways.