Soon You'll Get Better

And see him, you did. It was obvious from the way he walked up to you, though he tried to play it off, as his normal practiced swagger was replaced with bounds of excitement, that he was eager to see you. You were used to seeing this behavior with the children of the town, but from someone your age it was kind of funny... and a little cute, you had to admit.

"Good morning, Camilo, I didn't expect to see you so soon," you greeted with the gentlest smile you could muster, watching as Camilo eyed the small grocery basket in your hand. You looked down at it as well, giggling and then looking at him as he looked away in embarrassment. "Are you trying to figure out how to ask me if you can carry this for me?" you teased lightly, watched as his cheeks tinged pink. A brighter, sweeter laugh left you and he scowled before you offered it out to him.

"...I was about to ask," he mumbled before taking it, watching as you fondly shook your head.

"You were taking too long, I was just speeding up the process," you said, starting to walk, Camilo immediately matching your pace and sort of staring at you again. You let him, this time, chatting with the shop owners and laughing with them as you bought your goods, holding back a snicker as Camilo absently put what you handed him in the basket with a very confused expression, like he was forgetting where he was.

"Your boyfriend is muy guapo," one of the owners said and you giggled, watching as Camilo finally came back into focus as his face flushed.

"We're not-" he began, coughing awkwardly and trying to speak. No longer was he the confident entertainer you'd seen yesterday; here, he was just the young boy who was still trying to find his footing in the social world. Lucky for him, you were much better at handling this, it seemed.

"He's an acquaintance of mine, just another curious pair of eyes," you explained simply, the merchant nodding in understanding with a sparkle of amusement in his eyes.

"Being the new girl in town sure has made you popular, hasn't it?" he merchant said, and you laughed, nodding in agreement.

"It's certainly made my life interesting, but it's nothing I can't handle," you agreed, something clicking in Camilo's mind at the statement.

"I knew I didn't recognize you!" he suddenly shouted, a few nearby people giving him a strange look before continuing on with their day. You sighed softly, paying for what you bought, and walked on towards your home, where Camilo followed like a small, excited puppy, clearly proud of himself for realizing he'd never actually seen you before because you hadn't lived here before.

"Technically, I've been living here for a few years now," you started as you walked, Camilo going silent as you talked, watching as the light shone on your hair briefly as you walked passed different buildings. "But for the most part, I've spent it being trapped inside, considering I've been deathly ill for a while now. My parents, bless their souls, were convinced that I had been cursed, not sick, and, well, it wasn't until I snuck out and met your tía that I finally did something about how sick I was. My parents still think it was some kind of celestial miracle that I'm better now," you explained, stopping as Camilo froze in his tracks. "Something wrong?" you asked, your brows pressed together in concern.

"So you've been sick this whole time? That's why I haven't seen you?" he clarified. You nodded, closing his mouth with gentle fingers when you saw his jaw drop.

"Don't feel bad, mi encantador amigo," you said gently, his eyes widening a fraction as you spoke, "I'm putting that all behind me, and I'm certainly doing better now. Look at me! I'm fine as a fiddle," you said, doing a little spin to prove your point with a bright smile, Camilo smiling at your antics.

"Well, you do look fine," he mumbled, mostly to himself. You snorted.

"Save the flirting for another time, I still have to get home and get these to my parents," you said, leading him forward again as he sputtered.