CHAPTER 9 (ELIANA)

DECEMBER 19

"HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYY!" Lilia shouts through my phone, grinning from her spot at the island of her chef's kitchen. "You're an old fart now. Did you get out of bed okay this morning? I wouldn't want you hurting your back."

"I wish we were together right now so I could push that stool out from under you," I say in return, lying on my bed in our room. By "our" I mean the room I'll be sharing with Nina, Nico, Christiana, and Mariah. No, this isn't some sort of mistake. Our parents specifically arranged for us all to be rooming together, excitedly revealing it as another surprise as soon as we boarded the ship. There will be no escaping my newfound cousins over the next two weeks.

At least I don't have to share a bed, though. Christiana and Mariah got the short end of the stick and have to share the queen bed across from mine, while Nina and Nico get the bunk bed.

"Awww," Lilia groans. "I wish we were together, too. And not just because my brother just got back from Aspen and is going to make me play Xbox with him all day. I miss you! I'll plan something for us to do when you get back."

"Sounds good. I miss you too, by the way," I say.

"Of course you do," Lilia rolls her eyes, smiling. "I'm the light of your life."

"Oh, absolutely," I nod dramatically.

"Shut up. I know I am. You're the light of my life, though. I literally could not live without you."

I smile, genuinely. Even though she's being a little dramatic (as usual), I know she means it. And feeling loved is the best birthday gift I could ask for.

"So," Lilia says, taking a sip out of her mug. "What are your big birthday plans for today?"

I sigh. "Honestly, I have no idea. We went out for my birthday dinner"—I pause to dramatically put air quotes around the words 'birthday dinner', and Lilia laughs—"last night, so I doubt my parents have anything else planned. Even though they said happy birthday to me this morning, I'm pretty sure they thought my birthday was actually yesterday. They probably just got a calendar alert this morning to remind them that it's actually today, I don't know."

"Eliana," Lilia groans. "Why would you say that?"

"Why else would my parents take us out for a birthday dinner yesterday? We're on the cruise today!" I counter.

Lilia looks sad, which sucks. "I'm sorry. I'm sure it's some sort of misunderstanding. The day is still early though right? Who knows what could happen."

Sure, I could continue not talking to my new cousins I think. I still haven't told Lilia about that. How would I even casually bring it up?

"Yeah," I reply, regardless. "I'll probably just go to the pool or something. Enjoy the fact that I'm not spending my birthday in the snow like usual."

"Ugh, I'm jealous. But still sad that you're alone." Lilia rests her chin on her hand. "Will you have wifi? Maybe we can FaceTime again later?"

"I'm not sure what the wifi situation is gonna be like. But seriously, Lil, I'm fine. I'll update you when I can. I'll write you little daily diaries or something and then send them whenever I have service." I was kinda joking about that last part, but Lilia perks up immediately.

"OMG would you? That would be so cool," she says, leaning closer to the camera excitedly.

"Sure," I laugh. "I can't promise they'll be exciting but, hey. If I make up stuff you won't know the difference."

"Puh-lease. You're on a cruise. Cruises are always wild. Trust me, I would know. I'm sure you'll have enough crazy stories to write a book by the end of it."