CHAPTER 4 (JONAS)

DECEMBER 17

"Jonas. Jonas. JONAS!"

I groan and roll over, ignoring the whisper hisses polluting my ears.

"Seriously, Jonas, wake up. Charlie just got here, and Mom and Dad are almost ready to leave. Are you packed?"

I groan again and roll around to look my sister in the eyes. "Why are our parents like this?" I kick back the covers and slowly get out of bed. "Tell them I'm almost ready," I grumble.

I am not a morning person. And for some reason, my parents insist on getting to the airport six hours early whenever we go on vacation. I'm not even exaggerating. So, here I am, awake before it's even 5am.

I haphazardly make my bed and change into a different sweatshirt and a pair of black jeans. I don't feel like brushing my hair, so I just run my fingers through it and toss on a baseball cap. It's pitch black outside and I haven't bothered to turn on the light, so I hope I look decent. If not, oh well. Hope I don't run into any cute girls today.

☆     ☆     ☆

Thankfully I had the foresight to pack before the party yesterday, so it took me about five minutes to get ready this morning. Now, I sit with my suitcase and my backpack at my feet, scrolling mindlessly through my phone as I wait for the rest of my family to get ready. Because of course they're not ready yet. I try not to get too annoyed. I could still be sleeping right now, thank you very much. And yes, five or ten more minutes does make a difference.

I quietly sigh, which Charlie seems to take as an invitation to plop down next to me on the stairs. My annoyance barometer has just gone up a few degrees.

Charlie, short for Charlesworth, is Mariana's boyfriend of four years. They got together in their last semester of high school, and the rest is history. Charlesworth is a nice enough guy, treats my sister right, but for some reason, we've never really hit it off. I have no idea why. I have no problem making friends but Charlesworth, it seems, is the exception. It's gonna be interesting, him coming on this family vacation with us. I plan on spending as little time with him as possible.

And, yes, his real name is actually Charlesworth. I think about thirty percent of the reason why I'm so irked by him is his pretentious name. Come to think of it, it matches his preppy and annoyingly polite personality perfectly. I say you can't trust a person with a last name for a first name. And I know, I know, how hypocritical of me to say that. But it's a pretty good rule, I'd say. You can decide for yourself if I'm the exception.

"Excited for the trip?" Charlesworth asks ever so politely as he clasps his hands into his lap.

I sigh inside my head. "Yep," I respond mildly. Then, because I feel like I'm being rude, turn to him and add, "have you ever been to the Caribbean before?"

Charlie shakes his head. "No, never. I've always wanted to go, though."

I nod. "Looks like it'll be everyone's first time, then."

Charlie smiles, and it looks genuine rather than politician-like. "I'm so grateful that Mariana invited me. It's gonna be a lot of fun."

I take off my cap, run my fingers through my hair, then put the hat back on my head. "Well, you're practically part of the family at this point. It's about time you joined us on a family vacation." I smile as best I can, considering the hour and who I'm speaking to.