Chapter 5: Sometimes Things Aren't What They Seem

Josh and Niall stood up and I watched them leave from the corner of my eye, they did not even tell me anything after our conversation we just sat there in an awkward silence. Niall turned back and looked at me then just walked away, I looked out my window to watch the autumn settle in; there was a knock on my door.

“Come in,” I said not taking my eyes off the window.

My mom walked in and sat on the bed, “Liam? Are you alright?”

“I guess so,” I looked over at her and gave her a small smile.

She gave me a sad look, “Liam you’re not alright, honey. You’re pushing your best friends away doesn’t that hurt you?”

“Mom I’m not pushing them away, I have loads of things on my plate.”

“Liam I know things are tough between you and the boys just try to make things right before things get worse,” she got up and walked out of the room. Just great now my own mother is teaming up with Josh and Niall, she does not understand what is at stake.

I am going to find her by the end of this week even if it kills me. I got up and walked downstairs towards the door unsure of where I am going but that does not matter right now. My mother watched me walk out the door and before I slammed the door I saw tears flowing down her cheeks. I turned around and noticed Josh sitting on my porch steps, great. He turned around, smiled at me and looked back at the street.

I walked down the porch steps and walked towards the forest. I had a feeling that there was more to this little search than I thought. As I walked through the forest taking the same path I had the day before, I hadn’t slept a wink and I was not tired at all. I walked through the forest with no direction what so ever, and then I stopped; feeling like I was being watched I turned around cautiously and that’s when I saw him. I grew tired of this little chase I watched him, and he watched me, he took one step forward and took one step backward. He mirrored every one of my moves slowly and precisely.

I started a sprint and he followed me but he didn’t run after me he took slow steps, I found that a bit peculiar.  I ran through the forest since I was not looking in front of me I banged my head on a door? That was extremely odd; you do not just find a cabin in the middle of a forest. I got up and wiped the sand off of my jeans and opened the door as I walked in I noticed the cabin was clean and due to the mud prints on the floor someone has been in here before. The floorboards creaked as I stepped on them, I studied the cabin. There was a fireplace surrounding it were some couches and beanbags, there was a coffee table in the middle round and petite. Although the room was stunning and one to marvel at something grabbed my attention at the far end of the room. I got closer and noticed it was a photo, slowly picking it up and studying it.

“You are intruding,” a voice spoke behind me I was stunned I almost dropped the photo.

“I am sorry I didn’t know anyone lived here,” I put the photo back and turned around to see who I was talking to. I regretted saying anything once I saw the hooded figure that had followed me.