Chapter 2: Empty Glass

"That felt so real," whispered Reina, still panting as a drop of sweat dripped from her forehead. Her stomach churned as if she was about to be sick and she could hardly control her breathing. She suddenly felt the urge to drink an ocean but was too scared to get out of bed, so instead, Reina just stared up at the ceiling, contemplating her dream. It was not the first time she experienced those sorts of dreams. They continued getting clearer each time. Each one of them clung tighter onto her memories.

"Another nightmare?" Asked a soft, silvery voice which snapped Reina out of her thoughts. It was Ana.

Reina nodded, suddenly feeling quite ridiculous for making such a big deal out of a silly dream. She must have made big racket in her sleep. It was just a nightmare, nothing more. After all, everyone had them occasionally.

"What is it this time?"

"Nothing," Reina shrugged it off, quickly getting up.

"Don't tell me you were being chased by a grizzly bear again?"

"Bears can be scary, you know?" This time, she felt even more foolish. But she couldn't help feel a little angry at Ana for comparing her nightmare with her other not-so-scary dreams.

Ana watched Reina fold her blankets in a flash.

"I think they are cute." She heard her say.

Ana's voice was quiet and almost angel-like. It made Reina want to go to sleep and this was not a good time to fall asleep. She quickly glanced at her clock, astonished.

"I'm going to be late!" she exclaimed, gasping with horror.

She quickly grabbed a few books lying on her desk and stuffed it in her bag, regretting the fact that she didn't pack it the day before. Once that was done, she mentally kicked herself as a punishment before rummaging through her wardrobe. Ana giggled but Reina was much too preoccupied with what seemed like a matter of life and death to take notice.

"What am I going to wear?" she muttered to herself, throwing out a green jumper which her mother gave her for Christmas.

"Maybe you should wear what you always wear. Your school uniform," Ana gave out another giggle, successfully dodging another piece of clothing Reina threw at her. This time, it was a pair of socks and by the looks of it, unwashed. Reina stopped in her tracks in realisation. She clearly was not thinking straight anymore.

"Where is it?"

With that, Ana burst out laughing, loud enough to catch Reina's attention. Much to her annoyance, she did not seem to stop, even when she glared at her.

"Ok that's enough! Where did you put it?" Reina shouted, her voice showing all signs of panic and annoyance. Had she not been running late, she would have thrown Ana out of the window.

Ana stopped laughing and looked at her with amazement and curious eyes, sparkling bright. She then sighed, giving up.

"They're in the washing," she replied, her lips hinted another amused smile.

"Why on Earth would they be in the-"

Reina's eyes widened. Her expression changed immediately. She looked at her wardrobe and then back at Ana. They both knew the answer.

"It's Saturday," Reina answered, feeling stupid.

"This must be how Einstein felt like when he first discovered gravity," Ana couldn't stop giggling. It seemed that she found Reina's current 'eureka' moment funnier than her previous panic-stricken face.

"Very funny, Ana," her voice was mixed with sarcasm and relief, "And Einstein didn't discover gravity, that was Isaac Newton!"

Ana gave a shrug and started jumping on her bed, "Whatever."