Chapter 1: The Darkness

A desert. Faraway sands. Hot sun. Tall dark figures. Silent shadows walked towards her. She ran, letting out desperate cries. But there was no one there to help. They kept following her. Somehow, they managed to approach even closer than before. No matter how much she ran, they kept following her, gaining speed. Her legs were shaking and yet, they moved just as fast as before, trying to match their pace. How long was she running for? Did she finally lose them?

She gasped, trying to catch her breath back. The cramps from her legs seemed to have spread to her lower stomach. Her throat became dry; she needed water. Fast. But her relief was short lived. The shadows returned. They approached closer. And closer.

"No...Not again..."

They held silver knives. Each one of them. There must be about fifty of them. Maybe a hundred. She felt sick. She was sure she would collapse from fear if they do not end up killing her first. Her mind raced with thoughts. How would she be murdered? Where would she be stabbed first? Neck? Chest? Throat? There was no time to think of such things but her mind raced nevertheless. 

It was the first time she realised what it meant to have her life flashing before her eyes. Her body no longer listened to her, as if it was not her own anymore. Her legs would not budge an inch but her hands shook uncontrollably. They were going to kill her. She was going to die.

Then everything repeats. She seemed to have gone in a circle. She was running again and the black figures ran after her just like before. It was in that same pace and in that same manner. It was as if time was going on a loop. But something was different. She noticed how light had disappeared, the sun no longer existed. She wondered what caused the skies to change emotions. 

Maybe this really was the end. Maybe this was her last chance to escape. She could hardly feel her legs. She continued running. She ran and ran until her path was cut off. She seemed to have reached the end of a cliff, which she realised a second too late. That must have been the reason why. The skies had darkened, leading her to her death. She never had a chance to save herself to begin with. It was just a warning. A message.

She fell.

That horrible feeling. Her body gushed through the emptiness, knowing that she would hit any moment soon and yet, there was nothing she could do to save herself. The fall was long. She almost wished she let them kill her. She wondered how it would feel to have those blades pierce her skin. She couldn't decide which feeling was worse. But something was wrong. She should be dead by now. If she really were to die, she would have preferred to get it over and done with. A quick suffering rather that a long one.

Then it hit her. What if there was no rock hard ground?

She must be dying.

Or maybe she must have already died. This was her hell.

It was her own thoughts that were making her crazy. Her brain felt like it could burst any second.

"No...Please let it end," she thought.

Falling.

And falling.

More seconds passed by. Time ticked slowly, not in its usual pace.

Falling deeper.

And a whisper...

"Do not let the darkness approach you."

THUD-

Her eyes shot wide open.