Chapter 2

Walking into school, I immediately turned down the very first hallway and went to my locker! which happened to be right next to Lenzie's, my best friend. Lenzie and I are super close considering we've only known each other for 3 years now, alot of people are shocked when they hear that too. According to most people we look like we could be related, except she has dark brown hair with brown eyes and I have super light blonde hair with bright blue eyes. We started walking towards our 1st period class, which thankfully we have together, and said hi to people along the way. I wouldn't say that we are popular, we're actually pretty far from it, but we're involved with a lot of clubs and activities so alot of people know us. Walking into our creative writing class, we both turned in our papers to Mr. Glass and then took our seats. Lenzie was telling me about her story that she wrote, and it basically sounded like her and Cameron's relationship. They've been dating since her freshman year and almost everyone is certain that they're going to grow up and get married someday. What everyone doesn't know is that they're actually having a lot of relationship problems and she was planning on giving him this paper afterwards to try and show why exactly they've stayed together this long and that she's willing to try to make it work if he is. Lenzie was interrupted in the middle of telling me about her story when Mr. Glass started class. "Alright guys listen up," he announced, "most of you have already turned in your romance paper. If not please bring it up now." Like always there's always some kid in the class just because they need to credit. Of course that kid,Jeremy, never listens anyway, so he walked up and turned his paper in then came back to his seat. "Alright well hopefully this is all of them" he started, "anyways today we're gonna try something different. Before we proofread them, you are going to be split up into pairs. And no before any of you ask you cannot pick your own partner. I've decided that I'm going to pair you up with someone that either you haven't spoken to very much or someone that you've never talked to before, this way you won't pair up with your friends and have them say that's there's nothing wrong and then take the rest of the period to mess around and talk. Understand?" We all groaned but still nodded our heads. You could basically see the gears shifting in everybody's head as they were trying to figure out who they would be paired with, honestly I've talked to almost everybody in this class so I have no idea who I'll get paired with. "Alright so after I pair you up, get with your partner and find a seat and I'll be passing your papers out shortly. Alright, so. Lauryn and Emily, Brandon and Chase, Lenzie and Marcus, Hayley and Dwayne," after a while I blanked out till I heard my name be called,"Ashley and Luke, McKenzie and Abbey." Mr. Glass kept going down the list, but all I was thinking about was what I knew about Luke. He was literally the only person that I haven't talked to in this class so I guess that makes sense why I got paired up with him, really all I knew about him was that he played baseball and he was pretty smart. Top of the junior class, he was only 2 places above me, he was 4 and I was 6, which ticked me off to no end. I'm super competitive and his gpa was only .002 higher than mine.

Standing up, I started looking towards the side of the class that Luke usually sat on with some of his friends. It seemed like practically the entire variety baseball team was in the creative writing class. I finally saw Luke walking over to me and patiently waited until he got to my seat! He came over and sat in the desk infront of mine. "Hey, so uh I'm Luke in case you didn't know, I mean you're really the only person I've never talked to before, I've even talked to your friend Lenzie one day when you weren't here!" he told me keeping eye contact the entire time. "Well you're the only person that I've never talked to in here too so I guess that makes sense why he put us together." I told him, he smiled and then neither of us seemed to know what to say next. Thankfully, Mr. Glass chose that time to hand the two of us our papers. We traded our papers and started reading over them. I have to admit, Luke is a really good writer. He just makes things flow so easily, and he hardly had any mistakes at all. The story alone was beautiful, it had to be 10 pages long, it sounds like alot but once you get going its hard to fit everything into just 10 pages, but it took forever to read. His was about a girl from a small town in Minnesota that met a boy who was on vacation with his family. They met one day at the local ice cream store and immediately hit it off. In the end tho, the boy had to go back home to Oregon and they never talked again. The ending was actually really sad, especially for me I love sappy romance books. We both stopped editing the papers at about the same time and started asking about each others stories. "So is yours based on a true story?" he asked and I couldn't help but laugh, "no it wasn't, it was completely made up." I told him and he gave me a small smile. "Really? You didn't want to write about any of your past relationships?" he asked and I shook my head. "No, I've actually never been in an actual relationship. My cousin is just way to overprotective for that." I said with a smile. "Cousin?" he asked me. "Yeah, I've uh been living with my older cousin for about the past 3 years." I told him, and I could actually feel myself becoming sad. "Why do you live with your cousin?" He asked, "if you don't mind me asking." he added quickly after." I immediately began fighting with myself wondering if I should tell him. Finally I decided that I should tell him about it, we hasn't really talked that much but he seemed pretty easy to talk to. "Uhm no it's fine. Well, so around 3 years ago there was this really bad storm. The power around town had been going out but we still had ours. It was like 2 in the morning so I was asleep in my bed, my mom was in hers, and my dad had fallen asleep on the couch. I'm still not actually sure what happened, but a tree fell on a power line which caused it to fall, but it fell on our house. There were lots of sparks, and before you knew it my house was on fire. My dad was the first one to hear the smoke detector since there was one practically right above the couch. He ran up to my room to wake me up and told me to get outside and that he had to go get my mom and so he would be outside in a few minutes. They never came back out, and from then on I've been living with my older cousin Chris." I let out a deep breath and looked up to see what Luke's reaction was. I hadn't told very many people what happened because they all had the same reaction to tell me how sorry they were and that they wished they could do something. What could they do tho, they couldn't bring them back to life. "Ash I'm so sorry, that's honestly the worst thing I've ever heard. I have no idea how you made it through that, if that had happened to my parents, I, I don't know what I would've done." he told me, looking up at me in sympathy. Well atleast he didn't say he wished he could do something like everyone else does. "Yeah, it was really hard at first, but Chris and I were already really close and so he was constantly there for me." I told him. Chris can get on my nerves alot of the time, but in reality if it werent for him I would probably be living in some orphanage right now, I couldn't ask for a better cousin.

After I calmed down a little bit and tried to stop thinking about everything that I had just told Luke, the bell rang. He told me bye and that he had to go, that there was some mandatory baseball meeting that he had to go to, but that he would talk to me later. All I could so was smile and nod. As soon as I walked out of class, Lenzie was waiting outside the door and immediately bombarded me with questions. However the only one that I actually paid attention to was "he totally likes you, what do you think about him?"I just met the kid, there's no way that I would like him, but the problem was that I actually might. All I knew is that this would not end well.