Chapter Four

After lunch, it felt like my afternoon classes lasted 10 times longer than they usually did, partly because all i could think of was Lucas, and partly because i had some sort of test in every one of my classes, and i probably failed every single one. When the final bell rang, I don't think I have ever left my history class that quick. However, it wasn't until I reached my locker that I remembered that I had to wait for Chris to come pick me up, which meant staying at school for like another hour with absolutely nothing to do. I groaned, but put in the combination to my locker and grabbed the rest of my things from my locker. Slowly, I walked up to the front of the school where Chris would pick me up and sat on one of the benches right outside the main doors. I dug around in my backpack and eventually pulled out To Kill A Mockingbird, we were reading it in my english class, and it was actually turning out to be a pretty good book. I sat in the sun reading the book for about 15 minutes when it suddenly got darker. I looked up expecting it to be dark because of a storm rolling in, but it was actually someone blocking the light from standing so close to me. And that person was Lucas, the kid that I could not stop thinking about all day. Marking my page and setting the book down next to me, I looked up to see him smiling at me. "Hey, luke!" i moved my backpack to the ground so he could sit down, which thankfully he did, i probably would have woken up with a sore neck if i had to keep staring up at him. "Hey, how's the book, my class hasn't gotten to that part of the list yet?" he asked. "It's actually really good, I didn't think I would actually like it but now I see why it's one of those books that everyone probably has to read at some point during school." I said back smiling. "So I'll like it?" "I think you'll love it." I told him while moving the hair out of my eyes."Well I'll just have to take your word for it." he said with a smirk which had me laughing. "So Ashley, why are you still at school? I know I would not be here unless I had a reason to." he asked me, his lips curling up into a smile. I laughed while putting my book back into my backpack. "I'm just waiting for my cousin to pick me up, I got strict orders that I was not allowed to walk home under any circumstances." I told him, imitating Chris's voice a little bit at the end. "What about you, why are you still here?" I asked "Oh, I just got done talking with my coach, I can take you home if you want. You wouldn't be walking home so that would be okay with your cousin right?" he asked me and i'm pretty sure i answered him  before he even finished asking me the question. "oh my gosh yes please! I can not stand being at this school for another second!" I told him standing up and grabbing my bag. We walked to the student parking lot where he pointed out his car, which happened to be a mini van. "Sorry it's not that nice of a car, I had to trade with my mom this morning so this is the family car." he told me, his cheeks turning red with embarrassment. "It's alright!" I said to him, "who cares what kind of car it is, at least you have one!" We pulled out of the parking lot when his phone rang, he pulled over getting it out of his pocket and looked over at me with a huge smile on his face and said "safety first" before answering it. I laughed and grabbed my own phone out of my bag and texted Chris that I had a ride, and by the time i sent the message Luke was saying "I love you too" to whoever it was on the phone and pulling back onto the road. "Sorry that was my dad, he needs me to stop by his job real quick, I guess there's some paper work in here somewhere that he left in here the other night. Can you see if there's a red folder back there?" he asked while motioning to the backseat. I loosened my seat belt a little bit and turned around and started moving things around to try and find the folder. "Are you sure it's red?" I asked him, "there's a yellow one back here but no red." "Yeah I guess that could be it, what's in it?" he told me and I grabbed the folder turning back around in my seat. "Uhm, just looks like a budget for somewhere." I said looking over at him. "Alright yeah then that's it, he must have just gotten the folders mixed up, you can just put it on the dashboard." he told me focusing on the road. The next ten minutes were filled with some small talk, where I found out that he has 2 older brothers in college and a younger sister who went into the 7th grade this year. I hadn't really been paying attention to where we were going until we pulled into the parking lot, that's when I noticed that we were at a church. "Your uh, dad works here?" I asked not really sure how I felt about the whole situation. "Yeah, he's been the pastor here for the past 13 years. You want to come in and meet him, I'm sure he'll love you."he asked me while grabbing the folder off the dashboard and opening the car door. "Uhm, yeah sure." I responded and tried to act normal, but I was really not in the mood to go talk to a pastor. Walking up to the church, Lucas was telling me about how he grew up in this church, and how it was like his second home, but all I could think of was how I, Ashley Davidson, the girl who had basically given up on God, had a crush on the pastor's son.