THIRTEEN | BURN IT DOWN

there they were, all four of them standing in gibeom's office. unlike last time when he told them to kill mansik shortly after their then target had left, he was much more calmer. there was no anger there.

"it's a simple one," their boss starts in his calm voice. it anything, he's happy. "ceo park jisung was nice enough to reveal that cha mansik and nakamoto gota have a secret lab that they were planning to use before mansik died."

yuta tilted his head to the side at the name 'nakamoto gota.' sicheng was glancing in his direction when he did so — mansik's partner's name was awfully similar to his, even having the same surname. what a coincidence. so, donghyuck was right about his park jisung guy — he was actually willing to help. sicheng thought he would keep in mansik's footsteps, but apparently he thought differently.

"what are we supposed to do about that?" ten speaks up and sicheng knows ten isn't acting weird like he was before.

"burn it," gibeom says. "i was getting to that."

"burn it?" yuta repeats in a small voice.

"of course," gibeom retorts. "destroy the progress they have made. i simply can't let it slide, can i?"

"so, we're just going to set the entire lab on fire?" johnny sounds rather unsure and sicheng can understand his concerns as he listens to him talk. "how exactly?"

"using fire, obviously," gibeom rolls his eyes. "i've provided oil and lighters for you all to use. fire spreads awfully quickly in enclosed spaces, since it's not that big. destroy everything inside with flames and i'll be happy."

"will we have to kill anybody?" yuta asks in the small voice. he looks rather reluctant.

"i suppose you don't," gibeom says. "only the lab is getting set ablaze. not the entire building."

sicheng knows that didn't reassure yuta in any way. as team leader, he expected to make the plan after seeing the layout given to him by mark, but gibeom did it himself. though, he did praise sicheng's plan from last time.

it was simple enough for everyone to figure out — break in through a window, take out anyone who comes to investigate, locate the lab on the third floor, set the entire room on fire, and leave as quick as they can. yuta still looked off, reaching out to grab sicheng's hand to squeeze while they were listening. sicheng met his eyes and he knew they would spend the rest of their afternoon talking in his room.

"can i just hug you?" is the first thing out of yuta's mouth when they arrive.

"sure," sicheng says as he closes the door, turning around to face him, soon being wrapped in yuta's arm, his scent overtaking his nose. he hugs him back briefly before he ends up rubbing comforting circles on the other's back.

"i — " yuta pulls away to reveal his face. he looks as if he's going to cry. "i don't know if i can do this. i can't hurt anybody. it doesn't feel right."

sicheng bit his lip. perhaps making a promise he's barely sure he'll able to keep during their second mission. he sighs. "listen, yu. you won't have to kill anyone, okay? plus, our goal is setting the lab on fire."

"but — " yuta starts.

"if it comes to that," sicheng continues and yuta's mouth falls shut. "let ten and johnny handle it. even i can. just... you try and stay out of anything major, alright? i don't want you getting badly hurt."

yuta nods and leans into sicheng again, letting his eyes close briefly. sicheng's breath hitches. can he even ensure that will happen? perhaps, since he is team leader. he can simply tell ten and johnny to defend yuta at all costs and make sure he isn't the one finishing people off. it won't make yuta's feelings on the mission any better if he does.