NINE | USING BAIT

"kill," yuta says under his breath. "have you ever killed anyone before?"

"severely beaten up? yes, but if i ever killed anybody, i wouldn't know," sicheng answers truthfully. yuta just hugs his arm.

they were just leaving the office for the training room, gibeom telling them that their first mission was to kill mansik. the meeting was only to introduce their first proper target — seems a bit early, considering sicheng and yuta just met ten and johnny. though, mansik clearly wasn't liked by anyone, especially ten, who looked more pissed off than usual.

"let's just practice on each other," sicheng says and again, everyone listens to him. ten takes on yuta again and still loses, although in style. that leaves sicheng to go against johnny, finally to see what he can do.

as soon as they face each other, johnny crouches down to reach into his sock, pulling out a small pocket knife. "use knifes, sicheng?"

"i'm alright with them," sicheng answers and johnny grins.

"you still keep that same pocket knife in your sock?" ten looks amused from where he sat on the floor, holding onto his bandaged finger. "that has to be old as shit by now. never change, johnny, never fucking change."

"i can say the same to you with your sense of humour," johnny retorts, looking at him. "never change, chittaphon."

ten's smile still remains. if anything, he just looks happier before he quickly masks it with a tight frown. that's when johnny focuses on sicheng again.

"take my knife away from me," johnny says. "simple."

"obviously, i've done this too many times," sicheng says, cracking his knuckles before readying himself to take him on.

it happens quick, in a flash of light — johnny is walking forward one moment, and the next, he's close enough to properly slash the knife at him. sicheng bends back to avoid it before going for johnny's middle, pushing him back before going for the hand that held his pocket knife. johnny makes a decision to jab the sharp end at him to make sicheng back off briefly, successfully keeping it from him.

sicheng blinks before thinking of another method. in the moments without anything going on, johnny just holds it by the blade, hardly holding onto it. he gives him another grin, although it's clearly teasing him. perhaps coming from behind and tackling his hands that way?

so, he goes with that idea.

sicheng approaches him, carefully darting around him and latching onto his hand holding the knife from behind. keeping a hold on johnny's hand, he closed the other around the blade, pulling as hard as he could. yet, johnny's grip seems to get tighter and tighter on the handle.

yuta was cheering for sicheng in his head as he watched, hoping he would be successful in the end. ten, on the other hand, was still frowning in their direction. though, having been around johnny so long and experienced his fighting skills firsthand when they were being used against him, he was awfully good at these things. johnny simply has to elbow sicheng hard enough to get him to let go, which he does with a low noise of frustration.

shaking it off, he takes on johnny, who turns around to face him in the nick of time. he slashes out, making sicheng have to lean back once more to avoid it before continuing on, knocking him over onto his back. then, seeing the other was caught by surprise, sicheng tries again. two hands close around the pocket knife, slowly but surely freeing the weapon from johnny's grip.

johnny tries pushing him off, but sicheng just keeps pressing his weight down on him to stay completely on top. for once, he seemed to be genuinely struggling. until ten furiously let out, "grab him from the back and throw him, you idiot!"