Seventeen

An abrupt cough caused Kaori to jump, separating her and Edward from each other.

Standing before them was no one other than Ryuuzaki. His back was still straight, but it seemed as though his regal act faltered slightly. Though, Kaori knew it would take a lot to make such a man become distraught enough that his image would falter.

Edward laughed. "I'm sorry, Mister Ryuuzaki." He then turned back to Kaori with a kind smile, though she was still rather flustered from the kiss. "Kaori, it looks like your boss needs you now. I've kept you away from him long enough."

He leaned down once more and kissed her, and then he released her waist and proceeded back into the building. Ryuuzaki began to walk towards her, intentionally brushing past Edward's arm roughly.

Ryuuzaki grasped onto Kaori's wrist tightly and began to tug her along in a direction opposite of where Edward had gone.

"Ryuuzaki." Kaori said in a drawn out, complaining voice. He quickened his pace, and she had to nearly jog to keep up.

"We're leaving." He told her in a low voice.

She didn't dare to say anything more. The harshness in Ryuuzaki's tone scared her, and she feared of what he would say when they escaped the festivities of the event. For some reason, she found herself seeking to please the person she considered a friend, and she of course didn't want to upset him.

The car ride back to the hotel was eerily silent and uncomfortable. The fact that Ryuuzaki didn't say a single word to her scared her even more.

As soon as they were inside of the hotel room, Ryuuzaki instructed Kaori to sit on the couch, and she did so. He removed his shoes and pulled his feet onto the cushion, assuming his typical crouching position and becoming the man that Kaori knew.

"We need to talk about something important." He suddenly said, his raspy voice entirely serious. He seemed to be doing everything possible to avoid her gray eyes.

"Um, okay." She said as she focused on him, narrowing her brows intently. She thought she knew what he would talk about, but she found herself to be completely wrong.

"What do you know about your mother's job?" He pondered aloud.

Kaori blinked surprised by him bringing up the topic of her mother, and on that particular day as well. "I really don't know anything... except for the fact that she traveled a lot."

He hummed, but it was a hesitant and insecure sound. He placed his thumb on his lower lip and nervously nibbled on the nail. "I see." He muttered.

"What about my mother?" She asked and twisted her head to try to meet Ryuuzaki's tired gaze, but to no avail. "Ryuuzaki, do you know something that I... don't?"

"Yes, I do. But I am unsure of how to present it to you." He mumbled honestly. "To be honest, I'm rather scared to tell you."

"If it is about my mother I think I deserve to know." She swallowed, trying to appear open and approachable, despite the nervousness she felt to hear what he had to say.

"You do." He mentioned crisply. "Which is why I'm going to tell you. I am still trying to figure out how to, however."

"Please, just tell me." She began to beg.

Ryuuzaki sighed, and then began his explanation. "Your mother worked for me as a private investigator for a little while. She didn't work with the police, just for me. However, like everyone else, she hadn't seen my face and I spoke through a voice disguise.

"I was tracking a man who may have fled to Florida, so I had her do some investigating in Florida for me..."

Kaori interrupted, her eyes widening in realization. "She died in Florida." She could feel the burning of tears beginning to form in the corner of her eyes.