Twelve

After Ryuuzaki and Kaori retrieved their bags from the flight, they followed a few directions written on signs in order to find where the taxis were. Luckily, both of them could read and understand English relatively well, but Kaori was completely aware of how horrible she was at speaking the native language of America.

But, as far as she could tell, Ryuuzaki was a natural at speaking English. She admitted to herself that she wouldn't have managed to find the taxi or anything else without his ability to speak fluently in the common American language.

A thirty minute taxi ride brought them to their hotel, towering directly over a beach of white sand. Kaori's excitement could not be stifled any longer.

She hurriedly slipped off her boots and then proceeded to remove her stockings. But Ryuuzaki stopped her. "Work first, remember?" He mumbled surely.

The girl sighed deeply and pouted. "Fine..." She drew on with disappointment and readjusted her stockings. As the taxi driver removed the suitcases from the trunk of his vibrant yellow car, she pulled her shoes over her feet solemnly, exaggerating her discontent.

However, her longing for the bright, sunny beach diminished as she overheard Ryuuzaki claim the room keys for the room he had reserved. Which, he had just so happened to neglect to tell Kaori that they'd be sharing a room.

"Hold on." She cupped his shoulder. "Are you forgetting another room?" She raised an eyebrow.

"The rooms are expensive. One is enough. I don't sleep often anyway." He seemed to have completely reasoned the pros and cons of sharing a room, and according to his logic, it was perfectly fine. "There's nothing to be worried about, Kaori. Do I honestly seem like the type of man who would do questionable things to you in your sleep?"

Kaori was hesitant to respond as she contemplated the things she knew of Ryuuzaki as a person. "Actually, yes, you could be that kind of man."

"I can assure you that I am not that kind of man; that is, if that makes you feel better." He pressed the button on the elevator door and it slid open.

"Says the person who watches me sleep on cameras..." She muttered to herself.

"That is for nothing more than security surveillance. Anyone should be cautious when inviting a known criminal into the headquarters of a major, international case." The elevator doors shut, sealing the two inside of the small space.

"When you put it that way, you make me sound like a bad person." Kaori pouted.

Ryuuzaki hummed thoughtfully. "You're not a bad person, just a criminal."

"Usually, criminals are bad people!" She retorted.

"I'm not aware of another word to call individuals that commit crimes."

"You're mean." She accused with a frown, The elevator door opened again, revealing a hall four levels above the ground.

"Now I'm sure that you understand how I feel when you say that I'm creepy."

"You are creepy!"

"Just as you are a criminal."

"I'll buy you a cake if you stop referring to me as a 'criminal.'"

"I won't make you buy it if you stop calling me 'creepy.'"

"Is that a promise?"

"I guess so." Ryuuzaki agreed as he slid the key into the lock and opened the door.

The room was quaint and rather cozy. A coffee table was surrounded by a sofa and a cushioned chair positioned in front of a television set. There was a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee machine as well as a bathroom with a shower and sink. On the far side of the room, separated by only a wall reaching a few feet from the room's edge, a large bed was neatly made with pillows organized fashionably.

"I call the bed." Kaori declared and waltzed inside of the room. She shoved her suitcases in the closet and sprawled across the fresh sheets on top of the mattress. As soon as she lied down, she felt exhaustion consume her. It was still considered morning in California, but Japan was sixteen hours ahead.

So, it felt as though it was late at night. However, Ryuuzaki seemed completely unaffected from the time change.

"It would be smart to try to stay awake for as long as possible to get used to the time change." Ryuuzaki advised as he sat on the sofa, assuming his typical position.

"That's easy for you to say." Kaori mumbled.

"There is a coffee machine." He mentioned casually as he pulled a laptop from his suitcase, setting it on top of the coffee table.

The girl turned over on the bed and gripped onto the plush pillow tightly. "I want to sleep." She wined.

"You can sleep later.  At least wait until its dark outside."

In order to encourage herself to stay awake, Kaori slid off of the bed to her feet and grasped onto the thick curtains covering the window.  In a swift movement, she pulled them open to reveal the bright morning sunlight. 

Not only was the sunlight revealed, but there was a balcony stretching out over the sand with a perfect view of the blue sea.

Kaori gasped. "Ah... It's so pretty." She said in a hushed whisper.

She quickly unlocked the glass door and slid it open.  The curtains fluttered as the salty wind blew into the room.  She stepped onto the balcony and leaned on the railing.

"What are you doing?" Ryuuzaki asked.

She pulled her cell-phone from her skirt pocket and took a picture of the beautiful scenery. "I'm going to send a picture to Lawliet."

The young man stepped onto the balcony beside Kaori. "He would probably appreciate a picture more if you were in it."

The girl hummed in thought.  "I guess so. Do you mind taking a picture of me, then?" She asked with a hopeful smile.

Ryuuzaki shook his head and took the phone from her hands. She turned around, leaning her back on the railing.  The sea breeze gently whisked her dark hair from her face and she smiled as she felt the sun illuminate her cheeks.

"Did it turn out well?" Kaori wondered eagerly as soon as the sound of the camera went off.

The peculiar man examined the photo illuminated on the screen as he held the device with his thumb and index finger.  When it appeared, his lips curved into a small smile.  "You look pretty." He mentioned in his usual monotonous voice.

Kaori blinked as she felt heat rise to her cheeks. At the thought of being called 'pretty,' she was easily embarrassed.

She hurriedly took the phone from Ryuuzaki and began to type.

To Lawliet:

California is so beautiful! I cannot wait to go swimming and walk along the beach! Our hotel is on the beach, too.  There's a balcony attached to our room and it overlooks the shore and we can see the waves.

Oh, right. I have to share a room with Ryuuzaki.  But, I think it will be alright.  He doesn't sleep often, and he's allowing me to use the bed. I don't think he'll do anything to make me feel unsafe.

The picture I'm sending is from our balcony.  I had Ryuuzaki take it and he said that I looked pretty in it... that made me blush a bit, but it means nothing! It's normal to feel embarrassed, so don't question it.

Anyway, I hope you like the view!

~Kaori