9 - Never Grow Up

"HALLIE, YOU'RE HOME!" Kaytee screamed as she saw her arriving through the double doors at the airport with her luggage trolley.

Hallie ran over to her and jumped on her, wrapping her arms tightly around Kaytee's neck. "Oh, I've missed you!"

Kaytee pulled away and put her hands on her sister's shoulders, "missed me? Hallie, you literally fell off the face of the earth for weeks. I feel like we have a lot of catching up to do."

"On my part or yours?"

"Hmm, both", she grinned. "Right quick selfie", she demanded getting out her phone and holding it in front of their faces. Hallie smiled as Kaytee kissed her cheek. She moved away and brought the phone closer to her face to have a look. "Aw cute, you pretty gal, you look so much like mum when you smile, I've missed it."

Hallie nudged her with her elbow and laughed, "come on, I'm shattered!"

Kaytee talked Hallie's ear off the whole way back to the car, but Hallie felt like she was holding back, and her sister seemed to be doing the same. They threw Hallie's suitcases into the boot and Kaytee pulled away as soon as they were both strapped in, not before moaning about the prices of the car park ticket which was massively overpriced for an hour stay. As they got onto the motorway Kaytee turned the music down and glanced at Hallie, "so, are you going first, or shall I?"

"I'm not ready to talk about my time away so you go first", Hallie said, trying not to feel sad about how things ended with Louis. She looked down at her phone, reading the message from him that came through whilst she was in the airport – 'hope you got home safely Hallie. Thank you for the most amazing week. Don't forget to take on adventure wherever you go x'

"Are you sure? You seem really down which is not what I was expecting after a trip to America!" Kaytee asked, glancing at Hallie's phone in her hands before quickly turning her eye gaze back to the road.

Hallie nodded, trying to hold back the tears that she could feel coming. "You go... So, what's been happening at home?"

"Well, I have some exciting news...", she held the steering wheel tightly, worried about how Hallie would react, "Ronan asked me if we could go public."

"Wow, that is very big news. And you said yes, obviously?"

Kaytee bit her lip and nodded, glancing over at Hallie again, "I said yes!" she squealed.

"Aw Kaytee that is amazing! I knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later. Whenever he comes back from tour you guys are inseparable. I think most people knew... Mum definitely did!"

Kaytee smiled sadly, "you reckon?"

"Oh yeah, mum knew everything. And I really don't know how!"

Kaytee smiled, feeling a warmth in her chest thinking about their mum.

"So, what else then?" Hallie asked, feeling like she had missed out on a lot.

"Kai has been getting into fights at school", she said, a little pissed off.

"Huh? But he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Who has he started hanging out with?" Hallie asked, surprised.

"God knows, but I've done my bit and you need to do yours as he's not listening to me anymore and I'm worried he's going to get himself into trouble..."

Hallie nodded. "Of course. I remember when he was first born and his little hands wrapped around my finger and it was so quiet in the world that night. His little eyelids fluttered because he was dreaming, so I tucked him in, turned on his favourite night light."