chapter vii

chapter vii | witch hunt

There was no class for today due to some sort of local holiday. However, instead of being comfortably tucked away in my dorm, I was instead out in the cold having been dragged out by my dearest brother and cousin. The two had been behaving rather oddly since my return from my extended stay off of school grounds and the moment the two had finally approached me of their own accords, they had dragged me away from the book I was investing my holiday in and out into the woods.

"If the two of you were planning on finally killing me off, then at the very least you could have picked a less cliché location." I lightheartedly joked as we came to a stop in the centre of a clearing in the densest part of the academy woods.

"Gin," Katsu-nii was the one to break the silence, "whatever kind of trouble you've begun to stir up... dorm president Kuran already has his suspicions."

"The night of the ball, you bit Yuki, didn't you." Hana-kun more so stated then he did ask. "Aside from Kaname-sama and that Level-E, I'm the only other person who's familiar with the smell of her blood." The flirtatious blond came up from behind me and rested his chin on my shoulder whilst his long digits played with the strands of my hair. "When you came home from the ball that night, you were drenched in the smell of herbs and ash, but the faint smell of Cross Yuki's blood was still present and clinging to you faintly."

"Yuki was taken hostage by Hiō Shizuka," my dearest brother spoke as he took long strides towards me, "but how is it that a trained guardian was captured so easily and without any sign of struggle?" Akatsuki now stood just a hair's breath in front of me, his towering form and expressionless face would have intimidated anyone else had they been in my shoes. 

"Can we honestly call that girl 'trained'? She could barely scare a mouse." I shrugged, "it's no insult to her, but everyone is just too soft on the girl; she'll never grow up if she doesn't go through at least the hardships of basic training."

"Don't change the topic, Gin." Katsu-nii sighed at me antics and blunt choice of words. We all knew I was right though, "just what in the world have you been up to?"

Sighing, I brought my hand up and snapped my fingers. As the sound rang out, the doors and windows to my dorm shut on their own, ancient script began to cover the room--the red lettering of a forgotten language crawling from the shadows under my feet. Now no one could listen in on our conversation.

"I simply have been going through my awakening, seems me being a half-blood didn't change the ancients' minds about my being worthy or their gift or not," I shrugged, "power up is nice but it's thrown my mind off a bit so I've been trying to get a hold of these random changes in my urges."

"Well that explains some things, I guess," shrugged Hana-kun, "however you should have told us about this when it first started! You're always trying to do things on your own, but that's not good, Gin-chan."

I scratched at the back of my neck, not really having a comeback for the truth that my dear cousin had spoken. I've had that habit instilled in me since birth, never having a proper guardian figure for most of my immortal life clearly damaged a part of my mind that allowed for others to help me; to ask for help from those I trusted.

Because helping an abomination was a death sentence.

"Gin," the low voice of my brother caught my attention, "tell us what's been going on. The whole story." He then sat me down on my bed while Hana-kun pulled out two chairs for them to sit on. They were clearly not letting me get out of this conversation anytime soon.

Sighing in defeat, I leveled my eyes with theirs, "you have to promise to keep this a secret. Even from Kuran." I gave a pointed look to my cousin who fawned over the class president like a fangirl.

The two agreed, the blond raising his hands in defeat in the process.

"Well for starters that psychopath, Hio Isabella, has returned."

The room fell silent as the information sunk in.

"WHAT?!"

•••

I've finally updated, apologies for another late upload.
Hope that you're all doing well and that this chapter was enjoyable.

It's been tough getting back into writing, especially with how my professors rip and tear into our assignments--really damages your self-esteem.
I'm not an unsecured person, if anything I'm probably borderline narcissistic, but the way I speak is the way I write and vice versa. So to have my work torn down, even if it's for a creative assignment and not academic language only, just because the professor has to fail a percentage of the class (no joke. My university requires classes to have a minimum percentage of the class fail because it's apparently statistically impossible for a whole class to pass).

So yeah, the will to write or read at all after finally being done with academics has died a little and has been difficult to bring back to life, coupled with some other chaos happening in my personal life.

Anyways, thank you for patiently waiting for this story, I know Wattpad writers are always leaving you guys hanging and I'm not much of an exception to that.

Thanks for supporting my work (typos and all)!