chapter iii

chapter iii | let the games begin

The air tonight was sharp, cold and none too kind to fools who underestimated it. My hands held firmly to the blade tucked away in the pocket of my dress. Tomorrow night was the night of the ball, it was to be the night where everything will change and the hands of fate will finally start to turn in motion.

But before the play is to begin, there was much still needed to be done to prepare.

Once I had packed my things and settled with Melody what her homework was for the week, my hand rested on the crown of her head gently and pulled her into my embrace. Her mother had succumbed to her illness just the week prior. Though the young child wept her eyes out in my arms for days on end, headmaster had given me permission to be away and at her side during that time. Today she had dried her tears and I could see the strong resolve burning in her rose coloured eyes.

She wished to become my apprentice.

Somehow, the little one had discovered the mission that her brother and I were working on the past several years. A mission that was sure to get us all killed should anyone discover it. Should the prince himself, Kuran Kaname, discover it.

Little Melody wanted in on the plan, claiming that if she was going to be left alone in the end then she would rather not be sitting around eventually dying a mundane death.

"Remember, though this world is full of cruelty, it is in the eyes where you will find truth." Looking down, we locked eyes. "I will not give you my blood, I will not enhance you, nor will I allow you to be bitten by the cursed. Though time will change you, that change must be of your own volition."

Nodding her head, the little girl held a look of both understanding and determination. "I understand, even if it seems like a better option to have immortality, the sort of immortality in existence now is but a falsehood. A lie." Clenching her fists, her other hand white-knuckled around her bag strap. "I know the suffering brother is going through, I know the surface of the pain you've gone through. So I'll walk my own path beside you, even if one day there will by a fork in the road that will separate us. Please let me build my path side by side with yours until then."

"Alright, if that's what you want." Taking her hand in mine, while I flicked my other hand out of my pocket, the two of us walked out of the small home above the little shop that had tied the girl down since birth. "Let us depart."

Leaving behind a corpse to catch the blade that once was in my pocket.

• • •

A sigh escaped me as I stood hidden away at a corner while observing the night's festivities. I fiddled with the pendent in my palm, I had wrapped it around my hand in suck a way so that it rested comfortably in the palm of my hand.