Chapter 5

Cait stared out the window as the tram trundled toward St Kilda beach. It was Monday night, but there was always activity on Fitzroy Street – that hadn't changed in fifty years, let alone the four she'd been away. She didn't recognise many of the restaurants along the road. She counted three under renovation, two with "Now Open" still on their windows. Melburnians were ruthless foodies and this was one of the most popular restaurant strips in the city. "Duncan's by the Bay", on the beach at the end of the road, had been full every night for two decades and made Riley's dad a reluctant celebrity.

There would be no hiding in a crowd, or a tent, tonight. The Duncans would fire questions at her and she'd have to look into the eyes of people who had only ever been good to her, and lie to them. And yet, she didn't feel anywhere near as nervous as she had been heading for the campsite two days before. Maybe because Riley shared the burden. If her lies were ever exposed, he would be able to explain everything, even if everyone was too angry to listen to her.

But the Duncans always listened. Even in her rattiest, most obnoxious teenage moods, when her mother had thrown her hands to the sky and asked why she'd been cursed with a daughter so like her own mother, James and Eva Duncan had always listened. And Graggy had baked scones.

The tram approached the corner of The Esplanade. Cait stood and surfed her way down the bucking aisle to the doors, clutching at the handrail when she reached them. The tram stop was lit for safety and even at a distance she recognised the silhouette of Riley's long form slouched under the tram shelter, his hands in his pockets. He'd been so sweet today – almost too sweet. She'd woken late and found he'd taken the morning off work so he could take her to her appointment with Collins mid-morning. While she'd slept he'd rearranged her kitchen so that she didn't have to stretch far or lift anything that might be too heavy. He'd offered to stay again tonight so he could take her to physiotherapy tomorrow morning. It had taken quite a bit to talk him out of it.

Cait understood that his over-protectiveness was his way of dealing with what had happened to her, so she wasn't going to put her foot down, yet, but she wasn't going to let him rearrange his life for her.

The tram pulled up at the stop and Riley met her at the door, raising a hand to help her descend the steps. "How are you?" he asked pointing to her sling.

"Looking forward to seeing everyone." She put her good arm through his and led him away from the tram stop. "You've got to relax or they'll wonder why you're making such a fuss."

"I think you're underestimating how like medieval torture that sling looks. You won't need me to worry everyone."

"Don't."

"Besides, they'll be too happy to see you to notice anything I do," Riley said. "You watch: Dad will drive the kitchen nuts getting them to make all your favourites. I can't wait to see his face."

"You have told them I'm coming?"

"In a manner of speaking."

Cait knew that tone of voice. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing. I told them I was bringing someone important to dinner and to make sure Graggy came. I just didn't say who."

"Riley! They're going to think you're bringing a girl to meet the family."

"I know." He grinned.

"Ri! That's cruel! Your Mum'll be beside herself – your Dad will be designing the wedding menu!"

A deep belly laugh burst from him. "I know!"

"They'll think I'm in on it."

"No they won't, and they'll forgive me the moment they lay eyes on you."