Epilogue

It is time.

A slender figure leaned against rough brick of a building that loomed above. Everything was falling into place. Mara was now in their possession, Lucifer was dead, and the war was about to begin. Soon.

“Ziv, you coming in? It’s freezing out here,” called a soft voice from behind. Ziv turned to see her best friend, Lexi striding towards her, a blue cotton sweater pulled tight around her slender shoulders and perfect teeth chattering. “The other’s were wondering where you’ve been.”

So many times had they got mistaken for cousins, even sisters, with their identical white hair and big doe like eyes. Of course there were some differences. Ziv’s eyes were more almond shape, and Lexi’s nose was more rounded. Lexi was tall and slender, her frame almost stick like, while Ziv was short and sweet and curvy. But not in anyway fat. The only distinct difference that you could pick out from a mile away was the color of their iries.

Like everyone of their kind, Lexi had smoldering golden irises that seemed to burn with the intensity of the sun.

Just like Mara’s.

As for Ziv…Her eyes were of the moon. Light grey, almost silvery with a metallic flare that was so heart-stopping it seemed to freeze you in mid-step if she’d catch your gaze.

“I’ll be in in a minute,” she called back over her shoulder as she turned towards the barren street again, flicking white locks out of her face.

“Well you better hurry. She’s waking up.”

Something stirred in Ziv’s chest, like a mammal rustling in its nest of leaves after months of hibernation. It was familiar, yet completely alien. She shivered.

“Okay then. I’ll be in. Just give me a few seconds, would you?”

Sympathy shone in Lexi’s eyes as she gave her a sad smile. “Sure. Do you want me to contact your mother? Tell her about Mara?”

A small weight of resolve settled on Ziv’s shoulders as she stared at her life long friend. She straightened her spine. “No, I should.”

Lexi nodded once and turned to leave, pulling the cotton sweater tighter around her body. Something crossed her face in that moment and she faced Ziv again, a question dancing to get off her tongue.

“Ziv?”

“Hm?”

“Do you want me to tell her everything when she wakes up?”

Ziv shook her head. “No. She’ll be terrified and weak and she’ll probably lash out. I don’t want anything happening to you.”

“Ziv, I won’t die-” Lexi started.

“No!” Ziv snapped. And then in a soft tone. “No. I should be the one to tell her.” She took a shaky breath, dragging it into her lungs. “She is, after all…my twin.”