Chapter Thirty- Betrayal

The hallways were surprisingly vacant of any hostile beings. I thought we'd have to fight our way through at least two or three squads of Incubi or Succubi who were now loyal to Asmodeus. Something wasn't right.

I knew it was fear that bound them to him, but it did nothing to dull the sting of their betrayal.

"Are we almost there?" I asked, hating the way my voice sounded childlike. In times like these, I didn't want to sound weak and frail. I coughed and tried again, "I mean, um, how much farther."

Our little group had stopped, now facing a blank wall. There was a dead end to my left, but what resided in that little space is what caught my attention. I was automatically drawn to it, like a moth to a flame.

A large stone piece rose from the ground, a face twisting with fear and agony carved into the rock. Large wings rose from its back, sprouting from in between it's shoulder blades and it seemed to have a dagger in its hand. On second glance I realized that dagger mirrored the one my father gave me.

"What is this?" I asked, my question directed towards Charles. He walked over to me, snaking an arm around my waist and pulling me tight against him. My breath caught, but I didn't pull away. Touching him was something I was getting used to, and who cared if Avery saw? I certainly didn't... Right?

"Awhile back, when we were banished, there was an uprising within my realm. A few of my minions had gotten loose and were killing anything in sight, including Incubi and Gargoyles."

I stared at him, horror covering my features. How was I just now hearing about this? I bit down a growl. Of course I was. Why would anyone tell me anything?

Charles saw my face and sighed. "I wanted to tell you, but it wasn't anything serious. But anyway, let me finish before you go all Mad Gargoyle Queen on me, okay luv?"

I crossed my arms and glared at him, but didn't say anything.

"Gargoyles were dropping like flies because they no longer had the air advantage. The hunters had become the hunted and they didn't take the change that well. And the Incubi and Succubi were no match simply because they can't outrun something they can't really see. I was forced to come down and try to round up my minions, and the task was something I couldn't do alone."

I coked my head at him, confused. "What do you mean, alone?"

Charles shrugged. "I knew James wouldn't help me, and before you, Avery and I weren't exactly on speaking terms. So I went to Adrian and begged him to help me. He was reluctant at first, that bloody wanker, but he finally agreed."

I smiled at his british insult.

"Adrian let his own demon loose then, and everyone in the palace, even Adrian and I were under lockdown until it had "caught" all of the Fallen Angels."

"I'm not following..."

"A Gorgon, Mara. Adrain set loose a Gorgon to turn the Angels into stone. It was the easiest way, the fastest way, and the only way we could insure the Gargoyle and Incubi numbers."

"Why were you and Adrian on lockdown though? I thought you guys weren't affected by a Gorgon," I rebutted.

Charles looked at me out of the corner of his eye, his gaze serious. "Just because we're immortal doesn't mean we're not affected by it. If Adrian, Avery, James or I look a Gorgon in the eyes, it'll turn us to stone. We won't die, because we're immortal, but we'll be frozen forever within our own skin." His arms loosened and I slipped through his grip, gliding over and placing a hand on the statue.

The idea, to me, wasn't that frightening because turning to stone was somewhat of a natural process to me. But I could understand where Charles was coming from. Charles reached for me, and I caught a glimpse of his silver tattoo of a bow on his hand.