Goodbye

It was a Sunday. Pete burst into my room with a smile on his face.

    "Garrett, you're dying."

    "WHAT!?" I sat up.

    "Not actually, but that's what I told everyone at church. I figured it'd be a great send-off for you." Pete laughed. "A few people want to visit you one last time."

    "You couldn't have just told them I already died?"

    Pete pulled his lips back into a grimace. "Bhale— You're right. I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in telling them that you passed while they were waiting to come."

    "When are they coming?"

    "In an hour."

    I groaned. "You really have to tell people your plans before you set them in motion."

    "It's spur of the moment thing most of the time. But don't worry son. I'll fix this."

    He grabbed his hat and went to go outside, but before he could leave the room, there was a knock at the door.

    "Shit."

    Pete quickly rushed over to me, tucked me in, and scattered tons and tons of pillows on top of my wings to hide them.

    "Whatever you do, son, keep your eyes shut!"

    "What? Why?"

    "Just do it!"

    And with that, Pete was off.

    I squeezed my eyes shut. I could feel Spud hop onto the bed and climb onto my chest.

    "Not right now!"

    He squeezed between the pillows so he could bat at my wings again.

    "Goddammit, Spuds!"

    I could hear footsteps coming up the stairs. I snatched Spud with one arm and put him on the ground.

    "Now stay there!"

    I got into position and closed my eyes. Seconds later, the door to my room opened.

    "Garrett," whispered Pete.

    I sluggishly turned my head towards the sound, trying my best to play the role of a sickly boy.

    "Everyone's here," he said.

    He was followed by the mumbles and whispers of what sounded like half a dozen other people.

    I groaned and put the back of my hand on my forehead. "I barely know these people. Go away."

    "You know me!"

    I recognized that voice. It was Hettie.

    "Remember that one time I brought you soup?"

    "No. Must've been asleep."

    I desperately wanted to see the face she was making. It must've been great. But I focused every nerve in my body on keeping my eyes shut. I trusted Pete.

    Another voice spoke up. "I used to visit you every Sunday!"

    I pressed my teeth together.

    "EVERYBODY LEAVE!"

    I closed my eyes tightly. For a second, this whole charade felt real. For a second, I really was a dying boy surrounded by strangers.

    I groaned again. I could faintly hear Pete apologizing and escorting everyone out. But one person remained.

   I felt a touch on my cheek.

    "Pete, he's gone cold."

    It was Dave.

    Pete walked into the room, head hung low "He just yelled a second ago..."

    Dave pulled my arm out of the covers and grabbed my wrist. "Corpse cold." He sounded genuinely distraught.

    "I just– can't believe that just three months ago, he was up and around like any other kid. He got so sick so quickly... I know he was unconscious during most of the time I was with him, but I really felt like I knew the kid."

    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My brain felt jumbled. To me, Dave was that one guy who showed up once to get rid of some worm.

    "But of course," he continued, "any kid cut from your cloth ought to be someone special. Even if he was only recently taken in."

    This was all too surreal. Was I dreaming?

    "Sorry. This must be so much harder on you, Pete."

    I felt myself getting teary-eyed, and I had to use every bit of strength to keep myself from moving. What was Dave like during those visits? Was he the same abrasive man he was during the extermination? Spud curled up next to me.

    "It's okay," said Pete. I could feel a tinge of genuine sadness in his voice as well. In a way, he was mourning me, too.

    Then, I heard something I hadn't heard in a long time. A man crying. It was Pete. And soon enough, it was Dave. Then it was me. They both fell silent. I forgot where I was. Tears built in my eyes, needing to be released.

    I opened my eyes for a split second. The only thing I saw was Dave grabbing the crossbow at his hip like it was second nature.

   Dave's demeanor immediately changed.

    "Pete! Did you know about this?"

    I opened my eyes again. He knew. His crossbow was pointed right at my heart, ready to fire. I broke out into a cold sweat and tried my best to choke the tears down. I felt my wings twitch and knock over the pillows that covered them.

    Pete paused for a moment, then took a step foreword.

    "Of course I knew about this!" Pete ran at Dave and grabbed him by the shoulders. Dave refocused his crossbow onto Pete and fired. He missed and grabbed another stake to reload it with as Pete pushed him into the wall.

    "Garrett! Run!"

    I didn't have to be told twice. I grabbed the list of people in one hand and ran towards the window, scooping up Spud on the way. I kicked the window open and jumped out, crashing onto the ground.

    I got up from the impact and started to run. And run. And run. I felt like I could run forever. The tears came back.