Love in Paris

Love in Paris

I sigh in irritation and check my watch again. I've been standing in the line for at least an hour and the half now. My feet were hurting me and I could feel a headache starting. 

I unlock my phone and read my most recent messages with Louis. 

'Where are you?' I had texted him two hours ago. 

'On the Eiffel Tower' was his reply. I remember being surprised after reading this. 

'Why?' 

'I dunno. The weather seemed nice and there weren't many people in line so why not? Meet me up here? I miss you<3'

I smiled when I read that text and I wanted nothing than to be up there with him. We have been on top of the Eiffel Tower countless times but every time is as magical as the other. Living in Paris and that close to the Eiffel Tower has its advantages. 

And that is how I ended up here in this endless queue. Didn't he say there weren't many people here? I had called him a while earlier telling him that I didn't want to go up there anymore because the line was too long but he gave me his pleading voice and I couldn't say no to that. 

I should've known that there would be that much people around here. It's early June so it's the time when tourist from all around the world come to Paris. 

After another half an hour, I finally see the stairs. I let out a sigh of relief and get into the big elevator. I send Louis a text to tell him that I'm almost there.

I can hear the people's excited murmurs in different languages. Some step out if the elevator on the first floor and some on the second. By the time the elevator reaches the top, there's only me and a group of teenage girls and boys dressed in matching grey jackets left in the elevator. 

When we reach the top, the teenagers talk excitedly in a foreign language as they rush out of the elevator. 

I groan when I see how crowded it is up here. My height doesn't help me see well either.

I stand on my tiptoes and try to search for Louis. I zip up my jacket when the wind makes my short hair fly and goose bumps appear on my skin. I push through the crowd and make sure not to step in front any of the flashing cameras. 

“Excuse me,” I say as I push past three tall guys who were blocking my path. 

I freeze when I get in front of them. 

Five feet away from me, Louis is standing, wearing a tuxedo. Behind him I can see all our friends gathered around and I think there's a small table somewhere behind them.

Louis steps closer to me and holds my hand, pulling me to the center. I am too shocked to say anything so I just stare at him. He smiles and takes out a single red rose. I take it from him and before I can even react, he leans down on one knee and takes out a silver ring with a shiny diamond in the middle. My mouth drops open in shock and he gives me a handsome smile. 

“Exactly two years and a half ago, we had our first date right here on top of the Eiffel Tower and after that date I knew that someday I would be in this position, asking you to marry me. I thought that this is the best place to ask you, as cliché as it sounds. So, Marie, will you marry me?”

At this moment, I forgot the two hour wait, I forgot the pain in my feet, I forgot the headache; I forgot everything. 

All I could think about was my wonderful boyfriend in front of me. 

“Yes!” I say, a smile spreading on my lips. 

He grabs my hand and puts the ring on my finger and everyone's applause fade as he pulls me closer to him and gives me a kiss. 

I hear the pop of the champagne bottle and one of our friends screaming 'champagne for everyone!' 

I chuckle as Louis pulls me to his side. I see that everyone up there is watching us so I blush slightly.

I notice the group of teenagers with the matching grey jackets standing in the front. The three guys have smiles on their faces. The five girls look ridiculous with the grey hats of their jackets pulled over their heads but there are tears in their eyes and I can hear their 'awes' as they clap. 

It takes around five minutes for the people to start moving around again. Our friends congratulate us then give us two glasses of champagne. They leave us alone for a bit and Louis and I watch the city of Paris right after the sunset, hand in hand. 

I finally look down at our hands and smile as my diamond ring shines, telling me that this is just the beginning of our life together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this yesterday because I remembered a couple I saw on the Eiffel Tower last summer. I didn't get to hear the guy propose, I just saw the end of it but yes, me and my friends were the ridiculous-looking teenagers with the matching grey jackets :P

The picture to the side is one that my friend took of the Eiffel Tower when we were there (: Isn't it prettyyy? 

By the way, sorry if the spacing is weird!

Vote/Comment/Fan <3