08

☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚8. Noticed

❝I wasn't doing anything special, nothing to stand out but you saw me anyways❞

I wasn't doing anything special, nothing to stand out but you saw me anyways

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Can I ask you a question?" Iwaizumi spoke up over the sound of a boiling kettle. He was leaning against the counter of [y/n]'s kitchen, resting his hands on the brown counter top. Looking over that the girl across from him, standing by the kettle watching the steaming flow from the spout reaching the ceiling only to vanish into the air, or out the opening window into the cold wind and rain outside the comfort of [y/n]'s house.

"You sound kinda serious. Is this a bad question?" [y/n] answered, her tone was humorous. She definitely was not the type to worry over questions. Her leant back on the sink, parallel to Iwaizumi, looking at him with one eyebrow raised.

"I don't think so, just something I've been thinking about," he shrugged, acting casual but the concern was obvious in his voice.
"Well, shoot," [y/n] smiled, jokingly waving her hand for him to continue.

"How come I didn't know you before now?" Iwaizumi finally let the question leave his lips. "Like at all, I never even saw you at school, Oikawa didn't either and he knows everyone." [y/n] shrugged. She was still relaxed but the usual casualness of way she carried herself had vanished as if she knew the conversation was no longer one she could act as such in. Maybe she was nervous to answer, Iwaizumi could tell at least something was up through just body language.

[y/n] went to start talking but was disturbed by the click of the kettle indicating it had finished it's boil. She silently thanked it in her head for giving her a moment to gather her thoughts. She turned her head and began to prepare the instant coffee she made herself and Iwaizumi, who was across from her, staring at her back waiting for an answer, worried he said something bad, something stupid.

"I — uh — don't really stand out all the much," she spoke, her voice was quiet and awkward but just loud enough for Iwaizumi to hear over the clinking of the spoon stirring the instant coffee into the ceramic mugs. "I keep to myself all the time and I don't really click with people."

"That's probably why I don't really have any close friends, just people who tolerate me," she chuckled but it sounded sad. Her head turned back to face him, holding two mugs in either hand with a smile on her face. It was bittersweet and hard to read. Iwaizumi could tell it wasn't a happy smile but it wasn't one he felt he should pity. [y/n] wasn't the type of girl that needed pity, or wanted it for that matter. He knew that. She was independent. He knew her well enough to know she wasn't in need of a saviour.

"I think that's part of why I like you, you noticed me," she continued, walking towards him holding out a mug. He told it in silence, not even a thank you, he just let her talk. She leant back on the same counter as Iwaizumi, close to him, shoulders and arms touching.

"I don't really care about that sort of thing usually. It isn't something I want — to be popular or whatever — but there was a tiny part of me that felt like I was missing out," she mumbled the confession, watching the coffee twirling around and she moved the mug back and forth slightly with the handle. "I wasn't doing anything special, nothing to stand out but you saw me anyways," she smiled. "And I think I know why people like being noticed so much".

"But I don't really care about anyone else noticing me but you now," she blushed, forcing herself to look up at Iwaizumi, just as red in the face as she was. He was smiling, like what she had just said was the best compliment he ever received.

"I don't know about the whole noticing thing but..." Iwaizumi trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck. "You're really important to me, [y/n]. I think you might be my favourite person," he smiled, sweetly. It was probably the most romantic thing he has ever attempted to say.

The soft smile on [y/n]'s face was much easier to read this time. It was happy and her eyes almost looked like hearts the way they looked at Iwaizumi. She didn't have to say anything but he knew how she felt. He just hoped she knew how he felt because who knows how long it'll take him to find the courage to say it.