CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I wake up from a ray of sun shining onto my face, the sound of a spring breeze is blowing outside, a cool temperature has spread itself around the room and birds are whistling a beautiful sound.

Wait.

Stop.

Stop right there.

Birds.

I'm suddenly wide awake in bed. My eyes flutter open against the rays of sunlight.

I need to see if they are real, I need to see if I'm not dreaming.

There is only one thing on my mind right now and that one thing are the birds on the other side of the window.

I jolt up and jump out of bed. I nearly trip over the clothes that are scattered around the floor. I smile at the remembrance of last night.

But as fast I am distracted, is the same amount of time it takes for me to focus myself on the birds again. I find my pyjama pants and top scattered I front of me and deftly pick them up and pull them on.

I jump up and head towards the window, finally aware to be silent because Warner is still in bed sleeping. I allow myself to quickly glance at the alarm clock to see it's five past five in the morning.

I look back at the window and carefully pull the curtains out of the way to shoot a curious look outside and for the first time in my seventeen-year-old existence I have never had such a big urge to cry from happiness. Because that's what's going on right now, I want to cry because I see the one thing I wanted to see in my 264 days of concrete isolation.

And that one thing were birds.

Outside there aren't so many but at least there are some. And although there aren't that many, I could've never been happier. On the roof top of the base of sector 45 there is a minor amount of 5 to 6 birds, and each of them are beautiful. I don't know which type of birds there are on the roof, but to me that doesn't matter. The only thing that genuinely matters to me is that there are finally birds and they can fly.

But the only disappointment is that there is no bird with white steaks of gold like a crown atop it's head. But the truth is, there actually is a white bird with streaks of gold like a crown atop it's head, and he's lying behind me in the bed, still asleep.

Warner.

He needs to see this.

I turn around and carefully head over to the bed. I settle myself down on the edge and look at Warner's beautiful face, take a second to admire it. I gently lift my hand up to stroke his hair and follow the trail of his jawline.

"Psst. Aaron. Please wake up. I need to show you something amazing." I whisper it just as soft as the wind blowing outside, but hard enough so he will hopefully hear it.

"Mhm." He makes a small sound as a sign that he's awake.

"Good morning." I whisper.

"Juliette?" He whispers my name in a way to make sure it's really me.

"Yes, it's me."

He lifts his arms up as a sign he wants a hug. God, can he look even more adorable at this moment.

I hug him and place a soft kiss on his nose and he smiles his cut dimple-showing-smile. "I need to show you something." I whisper, trying hard to hide my excitement.

"How late is it?" He doesn't say anything to my excitement, because I know he can feel it. Because it's his power.

"10 past 5 in the morning or so." I whisper, because I know it's quite early, maybe not for Warner but for me it kinda is.