11.

*flashback early 2022*

"So how are things with your boyfriend?"

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Um, yeah he is. It's been years and the guy continues to post more about you than himself-"

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Yeah well that doesn't explain why he's the wallpaper on your ph-"

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Keep telling yourself that."

"Ney can you just shut up about it? He's not my boyfriend and I'm not his, we're just friends. I'm single. He's single. There's nothing going on!" The outburst was expected but also highly unnecessary. The eyes of every other snob in the restaurant were on him.

Leo clenched his fists under the table and quickly cleared his throat. His face was surely red but he didn't care in that moment. Neymar nervously smiled and waved the attention off of them. Leo glanced over and seen some raised eyebrows and even heard few hushed whispers from the room.

"I-I'm sorry but," Leo slowly grabbed the water off the table and took a sip. "We're not dating."

Neymar slowly nodded and then shrugged after a moment.

"So you're single." He said it matter of factly, not as a question but a statement.

"Yes." Leo frowned, not wanting to be reminded of the never ending angsty romance that he has with Cristiano Ronaldo. It was ridiculous at this point. All this time, all this pining, and still... no date. No confirmation from either end on what they really are. It was confusing and frustrating, like an itch he couldn't reach or scratch.

By now, he was bitterly stabbing at the salad in front of him. Neymar was silent across from him, Leo foolishly hoping that he'd be done with this topic of conversation by now.

It took exactly 3 more minutes of silent eating that Leo stopped what he was doing and stared at the man in front of him. Neymar tried to hide the smirk from his face but Leo could see it.

"Why are you asking about me and Cris?"

"Well my little Leo, I was asking because I may or may not have found a really cute guy who's willing to go on a date with you. I just wanted to make sure you were single and open enough to date someone else... and by someone else I mean someone that is planning on making a move on you."

Neymar continued to talk and Leo heard bits and pieces of it, something about 'hazel eyes' and 'doctor in England' but Leo otherwise tuned him out.

A date.

A potential partner.

Leo didn't know how else to describe the feeling in his stomach other than ugly and warm and just... wrong. It felt wrong. This partnership felt wrong. The idea of dating some random felt wrong. Like if Cristiano knew he was out trying to date other people he'd be devastated, and Leo didn't want that.

"I'm sorry but I have to go." Leo stood on unsteady legs and quickly grabbed his jacket off the back of the chair. He could hear Neymar's protests but without a second glance, he tossed a bill on the table and walked away.

He managed to hold in his tears until he reached his car. His eyes were blurry by then and as soon as the door shut, he sobbed. The tears now running freely down his cheeks.

It was guilt. Guilt for something he didn't even do, he never even met the nice doctor from England that Neymar was talking about but he felt bad for even hearing about him.

Leo grabbed his phone from his back pocket and called the one who person who he know would listen to his ramblings.

*****

Cristiano was in the middle of cooking dinner for himself when he heard it. The persistent ringing from his phone, whatever song he was listening to before paused. He frowned and considered leaving it to go to voicemail but something in him knew this was probably important. Maybe his mom was calling to check on him or maybe it was Jorge. Either way he walked over and as soon as he seen the contact name flash on his screen he answered it with no second thought.

"Leo?"

The soft cries were the first thing he heard and he immediately dropped the spatula he didn't even know he grabbed in the first place.

"Leo? What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"I'm okay, I'm-" he let out another sob and whimper.

"Shh, it's okay. Leo, what happened?" He wasn't trying to overwhelm the other man anymore than he probably already was. So he didn't want to ask anything else. He felt helpless as Leo continued to cry.

It hurt. With every whimper and choked sob from Leo, he felt an ache in his chest.

"I'm sorry Cris, I'm sorry." Leo finally spoke, his words quiet and weak.

"It's okay, I'm okay.. what are you sorry for?"

"For bothering, I-I'm sorry. I just needed someone to talk to and no one else is going to listen to me and I-I basically ran out of the restaurant, everyone probably thinks I'm crazy. But Cris, I had to leave. You don't understand, I had to-"

"Leo, calm down." Cris interrupted him, he could hear the other man getting riled up again. "I want you to tell me what happened from start to finish, but I need to stay calm okay? I'm listening to every word you're saying, I promise, but I can't do that if you rush everything out at once."

Leo sniffled then sighed, "Okay."

"Tell me what happened."

*****

Leo told him everything and he listened.

The drive back home for Leo was full of comfortable silence. His mind racing with the words that were spoken between him and Cris. Words of comfort and promise...

Leo continued to think about it even after he got home and ready for bed. It wasn't until he was bundled up under the blankets did his phone ping.

Cristiano.

Leo smiled as he opened Instagram, the post the first thing he seen. A picture of himself a few days back.

Everything's going to be okay my love. @leomessi ❤️

He commented and posted his own picture on his story. It wasn't just a reply or message to Cristiano, but to others as well. To anyone who thought about coming in between him and Cris.