𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

Babylonian Empire, 5,500 years after we arrived on Earth.

My feet hit the ground and dark energy shot through my hands.

The Deviant was lifted off the ground and ripped in half.

"Gross

"Gross." I wiped the blood from my suit in disgust.

After all the Deviants has been killed, we all went inside the gates of the city.

We all went our separate ways to get cleaned up. I walked further into the city and ran into someone.

"Nice work, Sunshine." Druig said leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"What are you doing, stalking me now?" I joked.

"Maybe I am." He pushed himself off the wall. He took a few steps closer to me before Ajak called my name.

"Nyx." She demanded.

Druig and I turned to see her with her arms folded in front of her and a stone expression.

"I'll see you later." Druig whispered to me. "Ajak." He nodded as he walked past her.

Once he was behind her, he turned and made a stupid face behind her back.

I looked down trying not to laugh at his childishness.

He walked away mouthing the words 'good luck'.

"You did a wonderful job out there. Protecting the city. Something's changed, am I correct?"

"Uh, I don't feel any different. But it feels easier to kill the Deviants. It takes less time and I can kill more and not be as exhausted." I explained.

"That's good. You're evolving. That's what we were sent here to do. Once we evolve, the humans will follow." She told me. "But, be careful, we still do not know the limits of you or your powers."

I knew what she meant by this, she was scared my powers would get out of hand. She didn't want me to end up being the enemy. Even if she knew I would never let that happen, she never pushed the possibility from her mind.

"I know. And I will be careful." I tried to walk away before she spoke again.

"Oh, and Nyx." She called out.

"Yeah." I turned around.

"Don't be late again tonight." She raised her brow.

I nodded my head and left. I always felt like Ajak didn't trust me. Sure, everybody had a small fear of the darkness that came at night, but I was one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

"Is that really true." Druig said aloud from in front of the door to my chambers.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stay out of my thoughts?" I tried to push him aside but he didn't move. "Now get out of my way."

"Why?"

"I could always smear Deviant blood on your face." I shrugged.

"Ladies first." He opened the door. "Meet me on the beach in 30 minutes." He said before closing the door.

***

After I had cleaned myself up, I walked out the door and headed for the gates.

After only a few seconds Ikaris started walking with me. "Where are you going this late in the afternoon?" He questioned keeping his gaze forward.

"Does it really matter to you?" I asked.

"Deviants are everywhere out there." He spoke calmly.

"I know mom." I rolled my eyes.

"Where's Druig? You two are practically glued at the hip." He stopped walking.

"I don't know. It's not my day to watch him. Have you checked the kitchen?" I tilted my head slightly. "Why do you even care?"

"You're becoming reckless." He stated.

"What's reckless about a quick walk?" I scoffed.

"With you I know it's more than a walk." He stared down at me.

"Look, I know you don't like or trust me but, that is no reason for you to act like my mother."

I quickly walked away not hearing the sound of footsteps following.

What was his problem. He acted like he was the leader of this team. Sure, he was strong, he could fly, and he shot laser beams from his eyes, but that doesn't make him invincible.

I walked onto the sandy terrain. As my eyes followed the shore line, I saw Druig sitting in the sand.

I walked over to him to find him fiddling with something. I sat down next to him as he cracked open a clam shell.

"What's that?" I asked.

"What do you think." He pulled the pearl out and handed it to me.

"Where did you even find this?" I asked.

"Just here on the shore." He told me. He handed the pearl to me and I took it.

I wiped some of the sand from its shiny surface. I held it up in front me. "It's beautiful."

In this worlds short time, pearls have been one of the best things I've seen so far. They were stuck under a tough shell, but they were one of the most beautiful things on this planet.

"I disagree." Druig said. It was clear he had read my thoughts. "There are things on this Earth ten times as beautiful as a simple pearl. Besides, everything hides inside a shell." He threw the clam shell into the ocean.

"Then where's your shell?" I rolled the pearl between my fingers.

"Maybe it's already been opened."

I looked down hoping I could blame the color of my face on the setting sun.

Druig looked out over the crystal waves. He smiled almost to himself. I realized he had heard that thought.

"Stay out of my head!" I exclaimed shoving him lightly.

"I will, on one condition." He said.

"What's that?" I asked.

"If you tell me how you feel."

"About what?" I cocked my head to the side.

"About me." He smiled.

My heart stopped beating for a minute. My breaths staggered as I tried to understand what he just said.

"I-" I couldn't form a proper sentence. I knew at this moment he was listening to my panicky thoughts.

5,500 years on this small planet, and over 5,500 years I have watched as couples have gone through the ritual of marriage. They love each other and they invite all to see their love.

At first I didn't understand love. It seemed pointless, but now, I almost understand it. They love because it's gives them a reason to wake up every day.

I wanted a reason to be here, a reason that didn't involve the Deviants, or the world.

I leaned forward and crashed my lips together with Druig's. He didn't pull back. I felt his hand move to the back of my neck. It was a perfect moment I will never forget.